Lounger
    Thanks

Word Woes - Mail Merge (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

As I've done for >15 yrs, created a Word mail merge document ("base letter") and created a data source in Excel (2000, 9.0.6926 SP-3). Everything worked wonderfully up until I tried to print. The merged information will not print. Have tried saving the base letter and data source files under new directories with new names and nothing works. Any clues?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Woes - Mail Merge (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

What happens if you merge to a new document, save the new document, then try to print it? Or if you save the new document, then quit and restart Word?

Lounger
    Thanks

the same thing happens. although i was able to print the first page by selecting PRINT - CURRENT PAGE. there are too many documents to do this, though, for the entire group. (i hope that's not what it boils down to!) thanks!

Lounger
    Thanks

one thing that may possibly be relevant is that i had our IT guy put the files into a subdirectory and had him place a "READ ONLY" rule on the files that i put in there. i did have him pull that off, though. that's what caused me to think i could pull the files out save them under a completely new name in a new directory and things would correct themselves. Color Me Stymied by This One - OfficeQueen

Lounger
    Thanks

the only other piece of information i have about this problem that might be of use is that when i'm entering the merge fields onto my base letter, the show up like i expect them to in the address section (i.e. <customer>, <address1>, <address2>, etc.) but when I drop down into the saluation, when I repeat the merge fields <title> and <lastname>, the actual "Mr." and "Smith" from the first record in my datasource appear in the base letter instead of the field names. that's all the information i have to offer. sure hope someone can help me figure this out / thanks again

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What prevents you from printing the entire document? Do you get an error message, or does nothing happen, or ...?

Lounger
    Thanks

nothing prevents me from printing the entire document. it's just that when i do that, none of the merged information will print, even though I see it all on the screen. i get the equivalent of my base letter without even the merge fields showing. never have had anything like this happen before and, as you will probably agree, it makes absolutely no sense.

Lounger
    Thanks

no error message, either. word just acts like its business as usual . thanks [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is the information in the merged document proprietary or sensitive? If not, you could post one such document (zipped if necessary), so that Loungers can investigate it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I can't post it, sorry. It's customer information and considered confidential. Maybe I will just take everything home this weekend if it doesn't work out today. Thanks for all your help, HansV. If you have anymore ideas, I'll be checking in! Best regards, OfficeQueen

Thanks

The only scenario I can imagine where all the information is visible on the screen (and appears normal) and is completely missing from the printout is that tracked changes were on during the merge, the screen is showing the "final" version and the print is showing the "original" version (with field codes not showing because that box is not checked under Tools>Options..., Print). An unlikely scenario!