Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Office XP/2003 Help Style Utility wanted!

Hi all,

I am looking to download a help maker utility that creates help files in the style that Office XP and 2003 uses. If you look at the graphic you will see that am am after two specific things:
    1. Key phrases like the word "accessable" are in green. When you click on it, it opens the green explanation in brackets.
    2. The little arrowed hyperlinks. When you click on these it does not jump to a new location, but drills down the text under the link. Click it again and the arrow turns and the text collapses again.

I am specifically looking for these two features. I am not so much after a help creator program, but it seems these two features only come with a help maker utility. If this is possible to do in Word, or another Office application, and then saved as a read-only web page...this will be OK too!

Any suggestions or help is appreciated ASAP...Tx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Rudi

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office XP/2003 Help Style Utility wanted!

It seems like there is not much out there based on the requirements of the original post!

Could I ask if the Office experts know if any of the applications are able to create these specific hyperlinks and explanation text?? I don't work much in Publisher, or Front Page....but is there a chance these app's could simulate the requirements of my above post???

Tx
    Regards,
    Rudi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I can't help with direct answers Rudi. I suspect that both of these features are manifestations of the same thing i.e. expanding and condensing some text, but I think it's more an IE/HTML/CSS... related feature than specific to HTML Help. MS use it on their site as well. If you're fortunate enough to be able to locate an example, view the HTML source to see how it's done.

I just looked through about 100 of my bookmarks to find an example. Naturally, I turned up empty. As soon as I hit Post, the next URL I view will undoubtedly contain such an example.

Alan

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Tx for the effort. Appreciated.

If you find something in the future that allows these features please post it...as I'm still interested to get my hands on this functionality!

Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by AlanMiller on 15-Oct-05 01:05. )</P>The MS usage seems to be built around their "deeptree" object, which appears to be related to a TreeView control.

Generally, I think you could emulate either of the results you're after by using an expanding menu in DHTML. Not really my area, but Expanding menu might give you some ideas. Attached is the source that produces that page.

Alan

Edit - Just found COOLjsTree Demos. Have a look at Tree 2 and Tree 5. I think they're what you're after. I think you could extend to code to also produce the expanding/ collapsing inline text too.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

These are done using javascript to change the display property from none to either inline (the green text) or block (the larger example). Years ago, I developed a bit of code that probably is neither very modern nor very cross-browser compatible (see <post#=197470>post 197470</post#>) for the second feature. I'm traveling, but later in the week I might be able to show an updated version. Note: this can't be embedded directly in Word, as far as I know.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Alan, tx for your help. This seems interesting...the ability to create your own page modifications. I have never dabbled in java, but the instructions seem easy. I'll see what I can do with this info. MANY TX
    Regards,
    Rudi

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Tx for the link Jefferson. I'll check it out!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Rudi

I know it's very much after the event, but I stumbled on Microsoft Office Assistance: How to Create Custom Help Content, which contains a section entitled "Make custom Help work like Office Help". This might be just the ticket! At the bottom of the article:

"HTML Help Workshop helps you create custom HTML-based Help content that can be used with the Office Help system. To help you create files that look like Office Help files, the Office Help cascading style sheet files are included in the section HTML Help Workshop sample files in the files msoffice.css and office.css. You can find this downloadable file on the Office 2000 Resource Kit Downloads page."

Alan

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Alan...this looks good.
    I'll browse through the page content. It looks like and interesting read!

Thanx a stack!
    Regards,
    Rudi