Thanks

Windows Media player

I am pulling my hair out with this one. I can download allot of videos to my Windows media player but when I try to download a video that I was able to download in the past I can get the sound but no picture. I get an error message telling me "error downloading codec" I have downloaded every conceivable codec I could find with no luck what so ever. Today I tried again and received another message telling me that I needed Kernel.32DLL. I did a google on that and all I found were people trying to sell programs.
    Catz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Media player

I can't help with your specific problem, but do you not have KERNEL32.DLL in C:WINDOWSSystem32 ? Mine is dated 2004/08/04 and is 961 KB.

What version of WMP do you have? Have you tried reinstalling it, or uninstalling it and reinstalling it from scratch?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Yes I have uninstalled it completely many times and reinstalled it and nothing changed. I have looked for any site that would allow me to download and install Kernel32.DLL and havent found any. Do you know of such a site?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Kernel32.dll is a Windows file, so try running sfc (from Start | Run).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Pauliez,

Kernel32.dll is one of the base files which Windows stands on (as its name suggests). It is impossible that you'd lost kernel32.dll - in that case your Windows would not start at all. To avoid such event Windows has at least one hidden backup copy of kernel32.dll (in WindowsSystem32dllcache folder). For Windows XP, the file kernel32.dll was updated in each service pack: for example, if you installed Service Pack 2 (SP-2) your kernel32.dll version is 5.1.2600.2180. You can find kernel32.dll in compressed form on your Windows XP Installation CD (as cabinet file kernel32.dl_), on your SP-1 CD and on your SP-2 CD (or SP hotfixes you downloaded).

What your error message probably reported, your codec (compressor-decompressor program) is incompatible with your kernel. Next time please try to write down the error message exactly as it is and post it here - it will be very helpful. To recover old error messages, click Start | Run, type EVENTVWR and hit Enter. Then click System on the left pane and navigate to your error (events is sorted by date/time). Then click it on the right pane and look at Description section. If it is not there, try Application folder.

To fix your problem, you can not use another kernel32.dll file unless you install another version of Windows (kernel32.dll in some degree IS Windows). So try download and install another codec. Unfortunately, you did not specify which codec do you need. Because you mention "video", I presume you need MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 codec. Try
    FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2005-10-15
    According to its description, "FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder."

Thanks

Thank you kaplind for your reply. I found Kernel32.DLL on my PC. It was a hidden file in Windows/System.
    The error message that I get when I try to play some videos with Windows Media Player 9 is "error downloading codec" while at the same time I can hear the sound track from that video. The type of video that I am trying to view need DivX and I have downloaded the 2.6 version for Win98se. It is odd because I have had no problem in the past with these videos until I reformatted two weeks ago. I have reformatted this PC many times with no problems like this ever. I will go to the link you provided and try to resolve the problem, if not I'll get back to you.
    Catz

Thanks

I doenloaded the MPG 2 and 4 and thet did not work. These videos do work with the DivX vedio player but not as well as they can be played with WMP.
    Catz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pauliez,
    Have you tried installing the K-Lite (full) codecs package? It is free, and includes just about every codec known to man, as well as a player. You get the option of installing whatever codecs you want if you choose the Custom Install option. Good package. Get the Full one, not the other. K-Lite Codecs

Thanks

K-Lite codecs is not free.
    Catz

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I posted the wrong link. Yes, it is free. K-Lite Codecs - free Or, you can click the link above for the Mega package -- on the same page.