3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System sloooows with Photoshop CS2 (XP SP2)

I plan to wait until the new windows comes out before doing a mega system upgrade--entirely new system. In the meanwhile, I can't work more than an hour or so with Photoshop CS2 without having to reboot. I have a Pentium 4 1.79 GHz Dell Dimension 8200 with XP Home, Maxtor G1040J2 single hard drive and 1 G RAM. What could I do reasonably and economically to tide me over for a year or year and 1/2? I'm thinking of a faster Hard drive, or two HD's, one as scratch disk. What do you think? How would I trouble shoot this, so that I know I'm doing a reasonable thing. The system improved with Disk Defrag!; I also error check periodically, and check Ad-aware and Spybot. I'm current with Norton Antivirus and run Zone Alarm vanilla. So....?

kdoc

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System sloooows with Photoshop CS2 (XP SP2)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's a great article; thanks. I've lowered my cache to 2 and turned down my hardware acceleration. But it seems clear that my next move is to get a faster video card (mine is 64). And there was nothing I saw in the article to suggest a faster harddrive would be the better move (which I had thought).

Thanks

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PS

You have a suggestion for a good video card for a non-gamer, photoshop user?

kdoc

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PS

It's been almost 2 years since I shopped for a graphics card and that market changes very quickly. I have an ATI Radeon with 256MB memory and do not suffer from slow performance with Photoshop CS2.

PC Magazine lists 146 graphics cards from low cost to top of the range. It includes price comparisons and how the stores rate the cards. Hopefully that will give you an idea what to buy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the meantime, you could go back to using Photoshop 7, which doesn't make as many demands on your video card.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For those who love Photoshop, that's like cutting out your heart [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img].

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Naaah -- I've used both, and can honestly say that I like the simplicity of version 7 better than the gussied-up CS. Granted, the file browser's better in CS, but 7 offers almost all of the features of CS, without the headaches, IMHO. Until Adobe comes out with the next version, I'll stick with version 7, thank you. LOL...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got bad news for you: the next version, CS2 (version 9) IS OUT. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] LOL also

kdoc