2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task Pane (XP Sp2)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

I have Excel 2002 installed on my laptop and on my desktop. When I launch Excel on the laptop, the task pane opens showing recent files, templates etc., When I open excel on the desktop pc the pane opens during the launch and then disappears. If I right click on the menu bar I can reopen it but would like it to remain open from the launch. When I open it manually, the checkbox at the bottom "Show at Start up" is checked.

I do have some macros etc., on personal.xls in the XLSTART directory and wondered whether the task pane setting was overridden when personal.xls opens. I've tried resetting it with that worksheet visible and resaving it but with no result.

I thought I'd found the answer(at http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T1110...r_Properly.html) - this solution does relate to the personal.xls file (or any other file that opens automatically). Accordingly, I added this code to the personal.xls file

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars("Task Pane").Visible = True
    End Sub
    No success.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Pane (XP Sp2)

Try the Task Pane Controller add-in from Controlling the Task Pane, even when add-ins are present. There are separate versions for Excel and for Word.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Pane (XP Sp2)

Hans,
    Thanks for the tip. That seems to have fixed it but I'm still confused by the fact that the two installations behaved differently (both have macros in personal.xls) but there are differences in the add ins. I guess that's what causes the problem.