5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inventory Concept Question (A2K)

This is a question on a systems approach scenario as opposed to an actual programming question and I hope that this type of question is still appropriate for this forum. I'll try to describe this as clearly as possible.

Inventory contains hundreds of parts to be used for repairing electronic items of various complexity.

Some items to be repaired are rather extensive, say an ATM as an example.

Some repair problems have been pre-diagnosed as needing 20 specific inventory items every time for that specific problem.

Kits have been pre-assembled using those 20 items.

Rather than a repair technician going to inventory and removing 20 separate items, he can remove a Kit made up of those 20 items.

Now, here's the question:

Rather than processing (removing from inventory) 20 individual items when the Kit is being assembled, is there a clean, logical way of, and I hate using this word, AUTOMATICALLY removing them from Inventory based on the Kit being removed.

So, if Kit A is removed, inventory is adjusted not just by 1 for Kit A, but also for each of the 20 items in one fell swoop.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions,
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inventory Concept Question (A2K)

You could create a table tblKits with fields KitID (primary key, could be ab AutoNumber field), KitName, and other descriptive fields if you need them.
    And a table tblKitItems that lists the inventory items for each kit, with fields KitID, InventoryID (or whatever field identifies an inventory item), plus extra fields if you need them. This table implements a many-to-many relationship between tblKits and the Inventory table - each record represents a kit - inventory item combination.
    You'd use code to update the inventory table when a kit has been selected.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

May want to check out the following as a reference

http://www.mvps.org/access/queries/qry0023.htm

and exploded/indented bill of material (Access 97)
    <post#=137,920>post 137,920</post#>

HTH

John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I should have mentioned that I have set up the exact scenario that you describe, ie. Kits Table, Kit Items Table, etc. I even have reports that list the Kit names and their contents. The point that I'm at right now is getting the Inventory adjusted each time a Kit is removed from Inventory.

I'm going to have a look at the postings that John mentioned and see what I can dig out of those.

Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Andy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Inventory Control

Check out the following for 2 concepts on updating inventory:

<post#=361968>post 361968</post#>

http://allenbrowne.com/AppInventory.html

HTH

John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks again for the good leads. Although I'm a long way down the road to the completion of this inventory system thanks to a lot of help from other Forum Foks, the stuff you pointed me to bears close scrutiny. Like you describe yourself in your bio, I also am not a programmer like some of our moderators Charlotte/Hans, etc. but have an affinity to cobble good stuff together to come up with usable systems.

Again, the biggy for me right now is the triggering of multiple inventory removals based on the removal of 1Kit associated with those parts. This is like CSI'ing my code and seeing if I can make it work.
    Cheers,
    Andy