New Lounger
    Thanks

Recovering Lost Macros (Word 2003)

I regularly use a number of custom macros that a friend wrote and provided to me on the condition that I not distribute them to the friend's competitors. Accordingly, in preparing a document for submission, I used the Organizer to delete the macros from the document in question. However, I apparently went a step farther than I had intended and deleted the macros from the normal.dot template as well. Now I need to recover those macros.

Normally, I would just use the organizer to open the document originally sent to me by my friend and copy the macros from that file to Normal.dot. However, the only macros that are visible anywhere are the Adobe Acrobat macros that were installed separately. The macros I am looking for seem to have been deleted not only from the normal.dot template, but also from every version of the file in which the macros once existed. What is even weirder is that when I open the emailed copy of the document that contained the macros from my Outlook Archive, the macros are not there either.

Apparently the only place these macros now exist is in my memory and I'm beginning to wonder if my laptop will come for that next.

If you have any tips on how to recover these macros or on how to avoid this in the future, please let me know.

CJ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recovering Lost Macros (Word 2003)

Macros stored in a template (such as Normal.dot) are NOT copied to documents created from that template. So when you thought you were deleting the macros from your document, you were probably deleting them from Normal.dot instead.

Don't you have a backup of your Normal.dot with the macros? If not, there is probably no way to retrieve the macros. In the future, back up Normal.dot!

New Lounger
    Thanks

A back up would have been a great idea and is one I have implemented since the loss.

The real question I have is how removing the macros from the normal.dot template could also remove the macros from a document emailed to me from a remote location that wasn't open at the time I accidentally deleted the macros? That same emailed document, when opened from my Outlook archive folder, still doesn't have the macros (I had saved this document with the macros in a few different places).

CJ

Thanks

When opening that document from email, first save it (e.g., right-click, Save Attachment as) somewhere like the desktop or my documents. This should bypass any special security restrictions that might be kicking in when you open the DOC attachment directly from the message. If they still aren't there, well, that's a bad sign...