5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Error message - delete desktop? (XP Pro SP

Hello,

The last two days I've switched my computer on I've received this strange, worrying message (below) about deleting the desktop. Could this be something to do with using a restore point that perhaps didn't complete? I had trouble a couple of days ago when everything went very slow and I decided to use a restore point to see if that would resolve the problem. I use ProcessGuard and I'm wondering if I disallowed something that I should have allowed after the restore rebooted. The desktop seems OK but I wonder what I can do to check things out and also make the message go away. Hoping someone can help.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange Error message - delete desktop? (XP Pr

I found the answer - sort of. The error message was being caused by the latest version of ccleaner (v1.24.180). Basically, when ccleaner tries to empty the recycle bin the message pops up. This is whether the bin contains something or not and whether it is set globally or for each drive. Currently I've told ccleaner to stop emptying the recycle bin and the error message has gone away. I would like to find a better solution. I think I started getting the error message after applying the latest round of XP security updates. Perhaps one of them has created a conflict with ccleaner. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Thanks.

Chris

Thanks

FWIW, In this thread from Tech Support Guy, Cleanup! is recommend as a better product than CCleaner.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif, the thread says that Cleanup should be run in Safe mode which is a bit of a nuisance. I might try it out though and see how it compares.

Best wishes,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again,

It appears the error message is caused by the recycle bin itself. I just tried emptying it and it was that that caused the message. It did go and delete the files after I clicked on OK. I've run Chkdsk and that hasn't caught anything. There appear to be no hidden or corrupt files - the recycle bin is empty. But if I delete something and then try to empty the recycle bin I get the message. It seems the recycle bin is somehow broken itself? Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's a registry patch here Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP at Kelly's Korner, but I've not used it, so exercise the "usual" care and caution. It's on the right side at line 64.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al, I tried it but Im still getting the same error message.

Chris