3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Network Monitoring

All,

As long as I am asking questions, here is another one.

Is there any way of monitoring what passes through a wireless router? As I sit at our main desktop, I often watch the activity lights on the router. Sometimes it stays on allmost nonstop. I know my son is often the culprit, downloading from the web using his USB wireless access point in his bedroom, but sometimes I wonder if there might be other things going on.

So, is there a tool or utility that can monitor the activity of the router and give me information on what is going on?

TIA, Douglas

Thanks

Re: Wireless Network Monitoring

Your first port of call should perhaps be the manufacturer and see if they offer any monitoring, although with a straighforward router, there may not be the internal hardware to do any auditing.
    I know my Netgear Modem/Router "logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitor access" but that may be inherent with its built-in firewall.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Network Monitoring

Well, you could run a protocal analyzer such as http://ethereal.com/ That will tell you exactly what's going on. Once you learn TCP-IP and how to use the tool of course. It can get complicated.

My firewall at work can log and report on all kinds of data about the traffic going through it. Unfortunately, your typical router firrewall doesn't have these types of capabilities. You could set up an additional computer in between your router and your wireless switch and run firewall software on that. http://ipcop.org is free and is fairly easy to set up. But, once again, to really be able to use it effectively, you'll need to speak some TCP-IP.

You could run "big brother" type software on all the computers to see what files are being downloaded and what internet sites are being visited.

Actually, I'm not really sure if I have any bright ideas for you. All this stuff I wrote will work, but it's probably a good deal of work to accomplish.