5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

cannot start in safe mode (WIN XP HOME SP2)

A friend has a Dell 4400 system with Norton Antivirus. She is getting a notice that Norton has detected "trojan.Vundo.B" and the following file is affected - C:Windowssystem32vturg.dll. The notice from Norton (which comes up when she restarts the computer) states that the file can not be repaired. She clicks on OK and the same notice just repeats and repeats. I did a search and found a Removal Tool from Symantec. But the removal tool instructions state that the computer has to be in safe mode before running the removal tool. When I try to go into safe mode, it gets to the point where the notice comes up saying that "windows is running in safe mode and to proceed to work in safe mode, click on YES". This notice only stays open for a few seconds and then the screen just halts with the safe mode text in all of the corners but the computer never fully loads in safe mode.

I was able to click on the YES button and the desktop icons briefly appeared but then went away and all that is visible is the black screen with "safe mode" in all four corners.

What can I do to get into SAFE MODE or is there another method to remove the trojan.

As I type this, I am running CHKDSK to see if that will help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cannot start in safe mode (WIN XP HOME SP2)

After running CHKDSK - no change in problem . Safe Mode will still not open properly. I have done some "research" and have found a few others who are infected with this Trojan are having problems with SAFE MODE also. This is strange. The Trojan is somehow related to Winfix 2005 which is adware.

Thanks

trebor,

Try this using msconfig.
    if you go to msconfig ( click Start, Run, and then type in msconfig and hit Enter) the system configuration utility box comes up.

You should see several tabs across the top. One of them, when selected, ( boot.ini ) has, in the middle of the page, a box you can check that says "Safe Boot". . check that box, and then click Apply and OK and it will prompt you to restart the computer. .

Do this, and then it will boot up in Safe Mode. .

To change it back so that it no longer boots up in Safe Mode (when you have done what you wanted to do in Safe Mode) you have to go back into this same box to uncheck that box or it will continue to boot in Safe Mode.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have already tried that - it reacts the same way as tapping F8. I get the Safe Mode screen with "safe mode" in each corner but it never fully opens up. I am pretty sure this is related to the Trojan that has infected the computer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It is hard and time-consuming job to clean an infected computer. That's why I would recommend to copy all data files on removable media (CD, flash drive or so on), check for installation CDs and keys for all installed programs (making a list of them) and erase the hard drive, destroying all existing partitions, and then making new clean Windows installation. Instead of erasing hard drive manually you (or your friend) can use Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD, that came with a computer. Just boot it from the CD and let it make a clean installation.

However, it is possible to clean the hard drive. Take another computer with working and updated Antivirus program and make sure that the latest, up-to-date virus definitions are installed. Remove the hard drive from infected computer and connect it to the dedicated computer as second hard drive (instead of CD drive - it is the easiest way). Boot up the computer and run the full scan of the infected hard drive (sometimes it takes several hours). Remember, that cleaning could not succeed if infected files are private and running account could not take the ownership of them. Don't bother with taking an ownership of these files and folders - you can infect the dedicated computer also. In that case erasing the hard drive and installing Windows from scratch is the best decision.

Don't forget to check all copied data file for viruses before copying them back to the hard drive!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting idea to take the infected hard drive and put it in another system. I will have to try that some day.

After reading gobs and gobs of recommendations about the trojan.vondu.B and still not being able to get the system to start properly in safe mode, I took the easy way out and backed up the data files and reformatted the hard drive.

All is well now - installed NIS 2005 along with Adaware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

The interesting thing is that my friend is quite good about keeping her Norton up to date so it is surprising that the trojan was able to sneak into her system.

Thanks for everyone's input.