Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS05-051 Patch - Ho2)w can I uninstall? (XP P SP2)

One small suggestion.

> I can reach Control Panel through Win Explorer, but Add/Delete Programs doesn't have any listing for the patch

Did you select the little check box at the top of the screen that says "Show updates"?

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS05-051 Patch - Ho2)w can I uninstall? (XP P SP2)

Security Update KB902400 is marked as "critical" update and distributed by Windows Update service. It replaces previous update KB873333. Windows Update creates a Restore point to uninstall the update.

This update usually does not create any problems. However, if you installed this update manually, there is possibility that you used the wrong version of the update. Follow the instructions in MS05-051 to remove it. But if you used switch /nobackup during installation, you cannot uninstall the update this way. Use System Restore and select the restore point with the date before installation date.

Note: if you restore your system to the point before you applied the update, you must reinstall all other updates you installed at the same time (there was 890830, 896688, 899589, 900725, 901017, 905749, 905414 and 904706 updates released at the same day as 902400 update).

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

MS05-051 Patch - Uninstall? FIXED (XP P SP2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by hobkirk on 19-Oct-05 12:39. )</P><UL><LI>The resolution is shown below as an additional response[/list]I installed the MS05-051 patch after a warning by Brian Livingston. When will I learn? Now Brian is off my Christmas list and my main PC is broken! ARGH!
    Problems I notice:
    <UL><LI>My TaksBar doesn't work. A "line" appears but I cannot extend it, see the contents, or move it. The Windows key does't bring it up.
    <LI>Windows Explorer (Windows/E key combo) DOES work, so I can find and launch things that way.
    <LI>My Networks folder is empty (I only noticed because of MS KB info)
    <LI>File dragging and most Copy/Paste doesn't work
    <LI>"Find" doesn't work in Windows Explorer[/list]MS KB
    The official MS line is that I modified permissions to the COM or COM+ folders (I know I didn't, for a variety of reasons including I didn't even know they existed!). But I am way beyond wanting to be right, or being mad at somebody.
    They want me to go to WindowsRegstration and make sure that the EVERYONE group ;has READ permissions, SYSTEM has FULL CONTROL, and Administrators group has FULL CONTROL. [Boy, do I miss Cut/Paste]
    <UL><LI>I don't know how to check if they are correct. They suggest Start / Run / explorore.exe c:windowsregistration (but I can't do Start / Run)
    <LI>Next, they suggest "in Win Expl r-click Properties (Registration directory? xxx.clb file?) and click the Security tab (Huh? Maybe they mean "Sharing & Security"?) But everything is grayed out there.
    <LI>In the Registration Properties dialog box (is that different than the last point?), click SYSTEM under Group and User Name (no such entry), and then click Advanced
    I might be able to look at the "clb" files with NotePad Plus, but I can't drag files and "open with" only shows NotePad (which doesn't work).
    <LI>They suggest in the Advanced Security Settings for Registration dialog box, click Remove (my only Advanced tab under Properties for Registration is talking about archiving, indexing, compressing, and encrypting)
    <LI>Then repeat the last two steps to stop EVERYONE account from accessing .clb files[/list]Additional Info
    <UL><LI>I have found the Patch directory under Windows - but I don't know if that helps me
    <LI>I noticed the "last good..." file pre-dated the Patch, so I killed power and then rebooted to :last good..." but it didn't help
    <LI>I can reach Control Panel through Win Explorer, but Add/Delete Programs doesn't have any listing for the patch[/list]I love deep-dish, fresh, peach pie made with extra peaches.
    I don't love this frustration on virtually every patch I've made to Windows in recent years.
    I certainly wish I had never read Brian Livingston's email imperative to install this patch! I love Woody, and Woody is connected, but BOO on Brian!

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Re: MS05-051 Patch - Ho2)w can I uninstall? (XP P

I don't have such a box. I have
    <UL><LI>on the left border (none of which seem relevant)
    <UL><LI>Change or Remove Programs
    <LI>Add New Programs
    <LI>Add/Remove Window Components
    <LI>Set Program Access and Defaults[/list]<LI>Top has
    <UL><LI>heading of "currently installed programs"
    <LI>Sort by [/list]<LI>there are no boxes, options, or notes on the bottom or right other than the drag bar[/list]EUREKA!
    I must not have checked after the hard reboot when I attempted to bring Windows back in its "last good" configuration, because now the fix is there ("Service Pack 2" was always listed, but not this patch).

Removal was smooth and easy.

Thank you, StuartR with you on/off atavar beard - your response triggered my re-plowing the same ground again, thus you triggered the solution.

I can drag and drop again... I can use my TaskBar... what more could I want?