4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible dll problems (VB6)

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this question as it is mainly about running a SQL tool. However, VB programmers are generally quite good with DLL issues so I thought this might be the best place.

I have a user who has installed our software. Part of the installation includes MSDE. We have a VB program that runs the sql command to attach a database to the server instance installed, when this runs it returns this error:
    -2147221499[SQL-DMO]Code execution exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I thought there might be something wrong with the service so I tried to run SQLMangr.exe and it returned the error:
    The instruction at "0x780104ac" referenced memory at "0x009e00a2". The memory could not be "read".

Note, we are using the MSDE2000 merge module version 1.0.0.0 but have not experienced any such problems when installing it on many other machines (approx 350 so far).

I suspect this is some sort of conflict with a dll somewhere or some sort of hardware fault on the users machine. He uninstalled the software and re-installed it and exactly the same messages appeared each time.

Any help would be much appreaciated as I really dont know where to start, and it is proving difficult due to not having direct access to the machine in question.

Regards,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Possible dll problems (VB6)

I suspect you are on the right track in suspecting a rouge DLL is causing the problem. Let me suggest you have them download the MDAC Component Checker and see if that uncovers anything. Good luck - they are frequently challenging problems, especially when working remotely.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Possible dll problems (VB6)

Thanks Wendel, i'll give it a go. If I manage to solve the issue i'll post back.