3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Window and Font Sizes (WINDOWS XP)

Is there a way to enlarge the OPEN, SAVE etc. pop up windows in Windows XP?

I've purchased a 19" flat panel monitor with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024 and want to use that resolution for sharpness and clarrity. I've managed to enlarge many font and icon sizes throughout windows (Display, Appearance tab) and in many programs but haven't found a way to enlarge the font and window size of the generic Windows XP OPEN, SAVE etc. windows.

The font size of files etc. in these windows does seem to be affected by the font size I choose for ICON in the Display, Appearance settings (it seems to be tied to the font size I achieve in Windows Explorer), but the window stays small as well as the descriptive text displayed in the Title bars etc.

Thanks,
    BH Davis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Window and Font Sizes (WINDOWS XP)

Yes, the same way you can resize most windows: drag any of the edges of the Open/Save dialog. The selected size is usually remembered during the session, but not between sessions, although there are applications that do remember the size, such as Office XP.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Yes, that increases the OPEN, SAVE etc. windows sizes. Thanks. However, the font sizes stay the same (at least in Windows 2000.....I'll have to turn on my laptop and try it in XP).

However, for things like Excel "Input Boxes" and the "Macros" creation windows that cannot be dragged larger, is there a setting that can be altered?

Thanks again,
    BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll have to experiment with the settings in the Layout tab of the Display Properties control panel (in XP, you'll have to use the Windows Classic theme and click Advanced) , I think the font for the dialogs is the same as for message boxes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Take for a more specific example the PRINT window in Word. There is no text to enter so there is no effect by changing the ICON font size in DISPLAY, APPEARANCE.

You cannot drag a corner to enlarge the window, and even if you could the font would remain the same tiny size.

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints along this line as more and more flat panel monitors are being purchased. Maybe many people don't realize the siginificant difference in appearance by running the high native resolutions.

BH Davis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Open and Save As dialogs are very general dialogs provided by Windows.
    The Print dialog is very specific to each application - the Print dialog in Word has different options than the Print dialog in Excel or Access.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I finally stumbled upon what I needed. In the DISPLAY, APPEARANCE, SCHEME there are several choices for Windows Standard and Windows Classis regular, large and extra large. The large settings seem to give me a reasonable size of windows and fonts.

Thanks again for all your help,
    BH Davis