3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing Software and Files (WinXP=HE SP2)

For some reason, programs that I know are installed on my system no longer show up in my programs list (from Control Panel/Add Remove Programs). For example, the windows calculator has just disappeared. Also, there are files that I know are on my computer that don't show up when I go to the hard drives via My Computer. Programs remember the pathnames and find the files OK, but I can't access them directly via Windows functions. My short term memory is not what it was 40 years ago and I cannot remember the pathnames for all these things. If I had to do that, DOS would have been sufficient and Windows wouldn't have been an improvement.

What's going on here? I run AVG AV, occasionally run CleanUp and run WinPatrol. My browser is Firefox and my mail client is Thunderbird. I run a hardware firewall and the one in XP. I can think of nothing else that might be interfering. Can anyone suggest things I might do to get my software and files visible again.

Thanks

Re: Disappearing Software and Files (WinXP=HE SP2)

<hr>For example, the windows calculator has just disappeared<hr>
    The Calulator (or any other Windows component) will NOT show in the Add/Remove Programs list. To find them, Contol Panel>Add or Remove Programs and then click on the "Add/Remove Windows components" on the left side of the window. As for finding the locations of your other applications which have "disappeared", right click on their shortcut (either an icon on the desktop or from the Start menu) and select "properties". Click the Shortcut tab and the path and filename should be displayed there.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing Software and Files (WinXP=HE SP2)

First question: "Add or Remove Programs" tool (appwiz.cpl - that means you can click Start | Run, type APPWIZ.CPL and hit Enter to run it) lists ONLY those programs that are mentioned in your Registry. More specific, it lists strings (names or descriptions) from each HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionUninstall< Program name >DisplayName keys. If such key does not exist, the program is not listed in "Installed Programs" box. By the way, if "UninstallString" key is pointed to the wrong or non-existed file, you could not uninstall the application from "Add or Remove Programs" tool. To remove the program from "Add or Remove Programs" list, delete the "DisplayName" key.

Second question: If you do not see some files in My Computer, that is for your own good, says Microsoft, protecting you from yourself. Open My Computer. From Tools menu select Folder Options. Click View tab. In "Advanced Settings" window select "Show hidden files or folders" and UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". Confirm your choice despite Microsoft screaming. You can also uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers" - you don't need it and it slows your browsing. Click Apply, OK.