Thread: defrag (XP SP2)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

defrag (XP SP2)

I have my physical HDD divided into multiple volumes. When I defrag C: which is where the OpSys is located - and then immediately re-run the degrag it tells me I need to do the defrag again. No other volume gives me this odd message.

This is the stock defrag pgm included in WinXP - thx

Thanks

Re: defrag (XP SP2)

If your swap file (virtual memory) is located on this partition, it could be triggering this behaviour. Try setting this to a fixed size and try the defrag again.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you run CHKDSK /F on the partition? It will ask you to reboot before it runs.

If your partition is very full, or horribly badly fragmented (often both apply!), then you may not get the longed-for message "The partition does not need to be defragmented". However, it is not compulsory to defrag a partition -- some people never do this, ever!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CHKDSK /F didn't change anything. also, it did not ask me to reboot

How do I set the other thing to Fixed?

Thanks

If "Chkdsk /f" didn't prompt you to reboot (or at least tell you that it would perform the operation on the next boot), then either you typed the command incorrectly, or there is another problem. "Chkdsk /F" is the command to check the disk and fix any errors. It cannot do this while the OS is running. It must do this prior to the OS loading, and it does this at the next boot.

As for a fixed pagefile size, right click My Computer>properties>Advanced tab>Performance Settings>Advanced tab>Virtual memory Change and select Custom size. Set the Initial size and the Maximum size to the same number. As a general rule of thumb, the page file should be set to 1.5 times the amount of actual physical RAM installed in the computer (see this article) .
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Neither of these solved the problem.

I did figure out what the problem with chkdsk was - To force it to operate on drive C I had typed Chkdsk /f" C: - the run box disapeered with no prompt or warning that I could see. Using Chkdsk /f" C: {w/o the } got me the prompt. So I ran that. Then I set the page file to 2000 Mbyte (following your instructions) based on 1.25Gbyte of RAM and rebooted.

I then reran the Defragmenter pgm that came with the computer. The graphic display looked the same for before and after... Then I ran it again - and it said I should defrag the volume. So nothing has changed. What's worng?

{BTW, I know some people never defrag. I like to have as much speed as I can get, and it also makes it easier to recover damaged file blocks if/when I need to do that. So I would really like to get it working.}

Thanks!

Thanks

Is your pagefile on the same partition as your OS?
    With 1.25gigs of RAM you probably don't even need a pagefile but I would move it over to another partition to get it out of the way. Then fix it's size to whatever you think is OK. There has been much discussion as to what size to make the pagefile but that usually applies to systems with a minimal amount of RAM. That isn't your case, at all.

Also, I have found that even using Symantec's Norton defrag, ( I really don't care for the MS defrag ) that I have to run the defrag twice on the C drive in order to get a decent result. Never more than twice though.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Maybe it's time to look into another defragmenter. Two of the most popular are Diskeeper and PerfectDisk . Neither or free (Diskeeper is $20 and PerfectDisk is $40). I use Diskeeper and it does (as far as I'm concerned) a great Job. Others prefer PerfectDisk, but you'll find opinions on both if you search the Lounge. Either of these will do a much faster job of defragging than Window's built-in defragger and offer other options as well (eg. defrag in the background while your system is idle, boot time defragging, etc.). HTH.
    John