2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DDE not responding (XP Home SP2)

I can open Outlook 2003 OK, but it will not reopen after I close it unless I reboot. I then have to end the DDE server & Outlook with "end task". MS aricle 892850 describes the problem. I emailed MS and was sent the Hotfix they describe but it didn't change anything. The hotfix, by default, installed in C: which doesn't seem to me to be the right place. MS won't help me any further without paying. Anybody got an idea as to whether I should install that hotfix in some other directory. Maybe this belongs in the Outlook forum but I don't think Outlook is the cause.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: DDE not responding (XP Home SP2)

Hotfix installation automatically detects the appropriate folders for the patch. Either you got a corrupted copy on the download or you have changed the default installation or the files indeed were supposed to be in the root of 'C'. What files were involved?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, I did not change the destination for the Hotfix install. The install sequence showed the window "select the folder where you want to unzip te file to" and had inserted C:. I even redid this download and install overwriting the 1st install in case there was a problem with the download or install. The instructions on using this hotfix did say that hotfixes are not regression tested. I interpret that to mean there's no assurance it will work. Is that the way you interpret it?

Administrator
    Thanks

When you get a fix like that you should unzip/extract the files to a folder of your choice but not the root. There should be an install.exe or setup.exe to run after the extraction. And no regression testing means that the developer who created the hoitfix believes it worrects the issue reported but the fix has npt been tested to ensure it plays well with others.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    There was no install.exe or anytthting else after the extraction to the root. What folder do you suggest I extract to?

Administrator
    Thanks

Create a folder under the root with any name you want.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Joe for your advice and patience. I did as you said, extracted the hotfix to a folder that I created under root and executed the file that appeared there- and got the message that it installed successfully. However, nothing has changed, I still get a DDE server window that I have to 'end now' when shutting down, plus Oulook still won't reopen. I don't know that the problems are connected, though.

Administrator
    Thanks

1.) Do you get an error when you try to reopen Outlook? 2.) When you shut down (you do mean the PC right?) you do close Outlook first? 3.) Have you used task manager to see if Outlook is still running right before you shut down the PC?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, Re: your questions
    1) When I start up the computer and click to open Outlook, I get a message "Outlook failed to start correctly the last time. Starting in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem. Do you want to start in safe mode?" I click no and Outlook opens as it should. I tried the safe mode route to no avail.
    2) Yea, I mean shut down- either restart or shut down- the computer, I always close Outlook first. If I the try to open Outlook again without rebooting, I click the Outlook icon and get an hourglass beside the cursor that goes away after 5 seconds or so and Outlook doesn't open. As Windows is shutting down, I get the DDE server window and click to end program to complete the shutdown.
    3)The task manager does not show Outlook running before I shut down the PC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, I thought I found a clue that might solve this- and still might. i just haven't found the right forum. When I shut down the computer a little bit ago, I got a window showing End now and OutlookFbthreadWnd. I googled OutlookFbthreadWnd and got 8 or so leads for the same problem. Apparently several people have had the problem, but none of them led me to a solution. I'll keep looking and hope you have a source that'll do better than I have

Administrator
    Thanks

The message has to do with Outlook Free/Busy information This article Additional Command-Line Switches is for Outlook XP. It should also apply to Outlook 2003 if that is what you are running. See the first command line switch about rebuilding the free/busy information.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm talking to myself here, but I think I found the answer. I have Symantec WinFax Pro 10.02 and Symantec's web site says that program is not compatible with Outlook 2003. WinFax Pro 10.03 may solve the problem. I'll call them on Monday when they're open. Strange thing about this is that I've had both programs installed for almost a year but I did reinstall WF Pro recently because of some problems