Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mobie Phone - withOUT the Provider?

As someone who travels between various countries, having a pocket full of different mobile phones is not an attractive option. Thus, a legitimate phone that will work with any provider's SIM Card is something worth looking for (despite the higher cost), but can be very hard to find.

I recently stumbled across a Nokia Service Partner in Vienna who happily provide (if you ask them & can wait for delivery) anything out of Nokia's current catalogue. Previously, this was not possible in Austria. AFAIK it is not possible in the US. In the UK, Carphone Warehouse no longer supplies contract-free phones. If you can get to Bulgaria, you can get such phones there.

Does any other Lounger have experience of this? Is the market changing?
    Gre

Thanks

Re: Mobie Phone - withOUT the Provider?

As far as I am aware, in the UK it is no longer allowed for a service provider to 'lock' a mobile against use with another service provider's SIM. They may make a charge - I think Orange charge something like GBP20-25 - and there are plenty of places that will unlock it for you - Mobile Fun for example.

When I got my last free mobile from Vodaphone, I told them I wanted to use my Czech SIM in it and they unlocked it for GBP5 on the spot.

If you want an untied mobile in the UK, I would suggest you go to any high street store, buy the mobile with a pay-as-you-go SIM, and just ask them to unlock it.

Edited to add:
    I still take two mobiles with me when I visit Cz - that way I can receive calls on both numbers and also have a usable mobile in the event one bites the dust!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mobie Phone - withOUT the Provider?

I recently wanted a SIM free mobile phone in the UK - I found a wide selection for sale with a google search.

StuartR