Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Handspring Visor Prism

This may or may not be the place to bring up Palm hardware issues.
    I just ordered a Handspring Visor Prism. Immediately after I placed the order I was reading some information from a Visor discussion group. There were quite a few users complaining about problems with faulty displays and peeling paint on the Prism unit.

I'm having serious second thoughts about my order. I may do a switcheroo for a Palm IIIc.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Visor Prism?

-MarkJ

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Handspring Visor Prism

I have no experience of any other handheld but i have had a Visor Deluxe for 12 months and have NEVER had to reboot it or carry out any maintenance. All software has run ok first time and there is acres of space (8Mb total - still only 3Mb used). As yet i dont have any spring board modules but am seriously interested in the telephone one.
    anyway, that's my opinion, HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It's kinda funny:
    I just discovered that Palm is coming out with Palm OS 4 and a host of new hardware to handle things like 16-bit color and probably native USB support in March. I cancelled my order of the Visor Prism and decided to wait a month or two to see what the next generation of Palms will bring.

-MarkJ-

New Lounger
    Thanks

The paint issue is not one of peeling, but more of a 'shiny' look where there is heavy wear on the unit. The two features you mention, 16-bit color and native USB, are already including in the Prism. The only significant features on the new Palms will be a SD slot, which is currently memory only and pales in comparison to Handspring's Springboard solution. The major updates in OS 4 will be those to handle SD slots, which have no impact whatsoever on Visor users. The innovations in the Palm OS will come with version 5, which is currently slated for release in 2002. In the meantime, get a Prism

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a Prism and I love it. I do have to reboot it once in a while when a program like OmniRemote crashes (this happens 1 in 20 times) but otherwise it is very reliable. I don't have any of the addons yet but I plan to get a few of them. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

citrixint

Just wondering if you had any success in locating any of the modules for your Visor Deluxe .. I have one of the 8mb modules but I was interested in getting the phone accessory too but it is a bit expensive for what I would use it for .. I know that I could go to the handspring website and get it there .. was wondering if you had come across any cheaper alternatives ?