2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dlookup syntax help (2003)

I am trying to get dlookup to display an employee's department in a text box (txtDisplayDepartment) when their name is selected from a combo box. The form name is frmImpactedCommunity. The combo box is cmbStaffName (control source = staffnameID) . tblStaff has a staffnameID field and a DepartmentID field to relate to tblDepartment (holding department info...Accounting, HR, etc....the field I would like to display is "department"). I have tried the following as the control source for txtDisplayDepartment and cannot get it to work (I receive #name?) when displayed. =LookUp "[Department]","tblDepartment","[StaffNameID]"=tblStaff.StaffNameID). Any help would be appreciated and is dlookup the best way to accomplish this? Thank you for your help....Scott

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: dlookup syntax help (2003)

Hi,
    the correct syntax should be:
    =DLookUp("Department","tblDepartment","StaffNameID =" & tblStaff.cmbStaffName)
    but you can also put the controlsource of the txtDisplayDepartment text box equal to cmbStaffName.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your help. I'm still getting the #name error. I have attached screen shots in a word file that may show what I'm doing wrong. Thanks again for your help.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

First you have to add the DepartmentID field to the cmbStaffName control source, use the DepartmentID as the bound column and then use
    =DLookUp("Department","tblDepartment","DepartmentI D=" & forms!frmImpactedCommunity.cmbStaffName)
    as the txtDisplayDepartment text box control source

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That did it. Thank you again for your help!