Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Change Toolbars (Word XP/2002)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 23-Oct-05 14:23. Fixed link using [post#=xxxxxx] markup.)</P>Hi, all. I've reviewed the forums before posting this. Found Phil Rabichow's suggested fixes. Tried them all and no luck. (This is the set of instructions I tried: <post#=496634>post 496634</post#>)

I am unable to either create and save a new toolbar or to save changes to existing toolbars. But only in Word. I can make changes to Normal.dot, such as text and formatting, and they stick). Even though I have options set to notify me before changing Normal, it does not notify me. I haven't used Word for a couple of weeks at home, but didn't have this problem before. I'ved checked for viruses, spyware, etc. and noting came up. I've tried an "office repair" but that did not help.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Brent

I can

Thanks

Re: Unable to Change Toolbars (Word XP/2002)

Is the problem that nothing you create gets saved, or that the Customize dialog doesn't come up, or that it's broken?

There are some third party templates that can block changes to Normal.dot from being saved: they assume that the only changes are the ones they made, and they set the "Saved" property of the template to "True" so that Word doesn't detect their changes (or yours).

To "manually" save changes to Normal.dot, you can use the File>Save All command. This is only available if you hold the Shift key while clicking File.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply jscher. This turned out to be a problem with Adobe Acrobat (the last thing I installed several months ago).

It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. It's a problem with a macro that Adobe 7.0.3 runs to install its toolbar buttons every time you open Word. I couldn't find any info on Microsoft's or Adobe's sites about the problem. I did find an annoying workaround - you have to deal with a security popup everytime Word is opened. But it gives me back the ability to modify Normal and the toolbars. Also, Adobe's macro (PDFOfficeAddin.dll ) deleted all of my user-created macros. Argh. Here's my work around for Word 2002 (completely up-to-date Office and Windows) which I hope will be helpful to others.

1. Open Word. Go to Tools | Options | Security tab.

2. Click the Macro Security button near the bottom.

3. Change macro security to "Medium". Basically this means you get asked if macros can run on opening Word.

4. UNCHECK the box titled "Trust all installed add-ins and templates" in the "Trusted Sources" tab.

5. "OK" your way back to the document, close Word and reopen.

6. You'll now get a "Security Warning" asking if you want to trust PDFOfficeAddin.dll. Click "disable macros". You're version of Word is now functioning and your's to control. You'll get this pop up every time though.

I tried searching for PDFOfficeAddin.dll to try to rename/delete it. It does not come up in any search (including hidden files/folders and system files/folders). It doesn't show up in the macros list in Word. There's nothing in Adobe's options (or their user forum) to de-integrate it from Word.

If you have any ideas on getting rid of this dll, I'd be happy to hear them. Or other suggestions for dealing with this. I did post this info in Adobe's forums, too.

Brent

Thanks

Hopefully you have a backup of Normal.dot somewhere with your macros.

Adobe's toolbars have created "issues" for Word users for years, and if you check posts since version 7 was released, you might find some information on how to uninstall it. Note that because it is a COM Add-in, it is managed through a different dialog than template add-ins. Use Tools>Customize... to add COM Add-ins to one of your menus or toolbars for quick access to that dialog.

Lounger
    Thanks

Fortunately, I do have a backup of Normal floating around. Nothing shows up in the COM addins either for this. It's an odd bird. Don't know how I even figured it out. If everyone's software didn't feel like it needed to be everything to everyone, life would be a tad more blissful.

Unfortunately, this problem isn't addressed anywhere. I did an extensive search of Adobe's and MS's knowledgebase and forums and there's just no info there. Other folks have reported similar problems with toolbars/Normal. So it's not just my set up, but it may be due to an unusual setup anyway.