Star Lounger
    Thanks

PRTOECT FILES FROM BEING DELETED (Windows XP)

Does anyone know how I can protect files on my hard disk or my external drive from being deleted. I want people to make changes to my files but want to make sure that they don't delete them. Also I have photos on my hard disk which I want to protect from being deleted? Anyone have any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PRTOECT FILES FROM BEING DELETED (Windows XP)

You can do this with "Special permissions", but it may not behave the way you expect!

When programs edit a file they don't change the existing file, they create a new one and delete the old one. This means that removing Delete access is very likely to prevent changes to the file as well, unless you have a program that is designed to work in this kind of environment.

Right click the folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > choose a username > Edit
    you can now set the "Deny" bit for delete access, or simply clear the "Allow" bit depending on other permissions.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PRTOECT FILES FROM BEING DELETED (Windows XP)

Well, I looked at your suggestion but not quite the way I would like to have to do this. I thought that there may be program that would make this task easier.
    Thanks anyway.

Thanks

Re: PROTECT FILES FROM BEING DELETED (Windows XP)

One thing to bear in mind is that there is little difference between opening a file, deleting the contents and re-saving it, and doing a straightforward delete of the file itself.
    I suspect backups may be the only easy method.