Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade hard disk (XP SP2)

I've recently acquired an ancient Compaq PC, built like a tank, that has XP Pro SP2 installed (but no XP CD). I'm trying to replace the 10Gb hard disk with a spare 60Gb disk that I have, and have hit a problem.
    I connected the new disk to the PC via a USB-IDE adapter box, then used Powerquest Drive Image to copy the entire old disk to the new one. After replacing the old disk with the new one the PC starts up OK and Windows starts to load, but instead of producing the normal log-on screen it stops with a blue screen containing a Windows XP logo. The hard drive continues to click & whir for a while, but nothing else happens. The mouse works - i.e. moving the mouse moves the pointer around the screen, but clicking has no effect. Similarly hitting various keyboard keys, including crl+alt+del, does nothing.
    Restarting in safe mode does the same except I see all the drivers loading and the screen ends up in VGA mode.
    I have an XP Home CD that I could use to run the recovery console, but it doesn't look like a MBR or boot problem, so I'm stuck.
    Could it be a product activation issue (I've also added an extra 32Mb memory Dimm)? If so I would have though there would be some kind of error message.

George

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade hard disk (XP SP2)

That bit about the "blue screen" with the MS logo sounds a little like what XP does at startup when it determines that the hard drive (possibly) has problems. Did you by chance run a CHKDSK C: /F on the 10 gig BEFORE you made the DI copy? If not, I'd try that to start with. If you can still get to it, I'd do the same thing for the 60 gig, just to run a test that BOTH pieces of hardware are functioning OK. BTW, I know little about this, but I don't think you should have an XP activation problem because of changing a hard drive, or adding RAM for that matter, but someone else may have had a different experience.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al.
    Drive Image has an option to check both drives before copying, which I selected. However when I ran CHKDSK with no options on the old (10 Gig) drive it found some errors - lost files and free space marked as allocated in the MFT. It won't run with the /F option - says "cannot lock current drive, volume in use by another process". So I'll connect the drive to another PC via UB & run CHKDSK there, then start the whole copying process again, which takes a long time.
    The 60Gig disk checked out OK.
    Forgot to mention that both disks use NTFS.
    Will let you know what happens.

George

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes you need to get the BIOS to rescan the bus when you change disk drives.
    Did you check that the BIOS had correctly identified the new 60G drive when you put it in as C:

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart - yes, the BIOS popped up a message saying it had recognised a 60G disk - press F10 to accept, which I did.

I ran CHKDSK on both drives, then did the copy again. This time an interesting message appeared when the copy finished: "One of the files containing the system Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful." Seems very suspicious.

Swapped the drives again, but alas no progress - still sticking at the blue Windows XP screen. The disk access LED is still flashing on and off several minutes later but the blue screen remains unchanged.

George

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I've never had much luck doing a 'Copy' on a boot drive. I've always had to image the drive then restore the image to the new drive.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade hard disk (XP SP2) success at last!

Brilliant suggestion Joe - after tearing my hair out for the last few days I've at last got it to work.
    Many thanks

George