New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting (XP Pro 2002 SP2)

Trying to delete the contents of a folder. Keeps telling me that someone/something is already using it...but they arent.
    The files in question are held on an AS400 and they can be deleted directly from there...but not in windows...???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting (XP Pro 2002 SP2)

If your folder in question is held on mainframe computer, you can use any connectivity program (as Attachmate EXTRA!, Hummingbird Exceed, and so on) that ease administrative burden.

Is is not a Windows question. Contact your network administrator for help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what software you are using on the AS400, but I have come across problems in the past where the server software holds files open for a period of time after the user closes them. This is done because many windows programmes do an (Open, read, close, open, read, close) loop which can cause havoc with the other operating systems file system cache.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, I have that problem consistently at work. (Actually it happens with my local harddrive, too... not quite sure why!) With network shares, the problem "goes away" eventually, but usually long after you've forgotten about it.

Anyway, when that happens to me I find that I can almost always do one of two things: If the network drive/share is mapped, I can use Windows Explorer to disconnect the drive and then immediately remap it. FOr whatever reason, Windows is now convinced I'm not using the folder anymore, and allows me to delete it.

The other option (much less graceful) is to have someone else delete it (because it's your own instance of Windows Explorer that is confused about whether the folder is really being used). Another version of this approach is to use my Windows' Remote Desktop Connection to my other machine and do it from there; that's the same thing as the "another user" approach.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike