4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up mini-Wan over Internet (XP Pro)

Hi, I am trying to create a small WAN from my home PC over the internet to enable a friend to browse my shared files folder.

I have successfully set up an Incoming Connection, specifying username, password for this connection and enabling VPN.
    I have set up Firewall rules on my modem/router to allow VPN Protocols through, ie IPSec etc...
    I have also set the connection to allow file sharing I think.

Talking to my friend (on MSN!) I got them to add a connection, to create this as a VPN and specfied my router's IP, and the username and password i st up for my incoming connection.

Partly successful, it showed that there was 1 user connected(with the username I specified), and my friend had a successful connection with the network Icon showing connected on their PC.

I thought from here all they would need to do would be to type in the Run Dialog box :

myMachineNamemyShareName

and they would 'see' the folder in question - but alas, this did not work.

I am wondering if anyone out there has ever set up a native VPN connection such as this using Windows over the Internet.

Hopeful... :-)
    Thanks,

pmatz

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting up mini-Wan over Internet (XP Pro)

I cant help you with your problem using the windows wan, I use VNC or Hamachi both free,reliable,secure and really easy to set up.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that - been away so just looking into it now. would u say VNC is secure due to the fact it uses web browser? Hamachi looks cool to me.

I will still try and sort it using Win XP Native VPN - will post back if i suss it...

If there is sensitive info being used do you think VNC or Hamachi would be able to see it - or do they respect anonmyity / privacy etc
    Thanks,

pmatz

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

What is 'this did not work'? Was there an error message? What OS is the remote PC running? Also, look at some of the articles from Search The Knowledge Base.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe - thanks for your reply, the 'this did not work' as far as know means that although my friend could connect to me with the VPN connection they made, (ie, they had a VPN connection icon as CONNECTED, and I had ONE USER CONNECTED showing in my Incoming Connections) they could not 'see' my machine when typing in machineshare. I don't think they got an error message, will have to wait for them to try it again and post back.

As I understand it, the VPN connection was there, but it wasn't like we were 'networked' as I understand it...

Whether this should work as I thought I don't know - thanks for the link I will go over that and hopefully find the answer!

The remote PC is running XP Home.
    Thanks,

pmatz