New Lounger
    Thanks

Update 95 to 2000/2002 - Reports

In upgrading my system from 95 to 2000 (actually, 2002 at home) I am faced with the following error description any time I try to view, modify or even create a new report.

"There was a problem retrieving printer information for this object. The object may have been sent to a printer that is unavailable. "

I have check the MS Knowledge base article Q282385 which seems to [sort of] apply but the solution simply doesn't work. ( I was not sending the report to an Adobe PDF writer, only to the default printer)

Any suggestions on what to try next?
    JJ

(Running on Windows98)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update 95 to 2000/2002 - Reports

As I recall, the prescribed method for upgrading 95 databases to 2000 was to upgrade them to 97 *first*. Did you do that or did you try to skip that step? Also, which service release of 2000 are you using? The unpatched version had numerous printer related problems.

Have you tried creating a new database in the version of choice and importing the object from the converted database? It would mean changing references to point to the DAO library instead of the default ADO, but that might get around the problem and is the usual way to handle databases that won't convert properly.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Charlotte
    Thanks for the speedy reply.
    I did convert the database to 97 first and all was working fine.
    I actually tried the conversion directly into 2002 but 2000 format. Since this is the version I have easy access to - I 'spect that isn't helping!
    I will try your suggestions - thanks again.
    JJ

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    I'm ashamed to say that I managed the problem by a complete fudge! My customer was using 2000, so I purchased the 2000 version and converted from the 95=>97 and the report problem did not occur in 2000 converted. Unfortunately, 2002 conversion to 2000 is not as sucessful! Let me know if you find a solution and I'll return the complement.
    Cheers
    JJ

New Lounger
    Thanks

I noticed if I go to the database and pick a specific printer then the problem goes away. There was an knowledge base article that addressed the problem. I did those steps but those steps did not work.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q222/6/38.asp

Thanks.

perkinsm

Hi Folks, First let me say I have the same problem, not the solution. I recently upgraded from Office 2K to Office XP. Trying to use databases created in Access 2K and "upgraded" to XP format, I get the error msg, "There was a problem retrieving printer information ..." I too tried all the KB suggestions and had no success. I'll keep looking and if I hit paydirt, "I'll be back." See below "helpful" reply from Robin @MS

Hi Malcolm,
    Thank you for using the Microsoft Web Response Support. In order to route your case to a Support Professional we will need to re-entitle your case. The two Personal level warranty incidents that come with your product do not cover developer incidents such as this. We will need either an incident from a prepaid developer support account, an incident from a MSDN subscription, or a credit card charge of $195 for a web response case. Please advise me on how you would like to proceed and we will then be able to route your case promptly to a Support Professional.

That being said, I have found some information that may be of assistance to you on this issue. Please let me know if this helps. Q282385 ACC2002: Can't Use Report If Adobe PDFWriter Is Default Printer http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q282/3/85.asp

Thanks and have a great day!
    Robin
    Robin Lincoln, MCSD
    PSSCC NC Technical Router