3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Informix back-end drawbacks? (XP)

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with using Access (front end) on an Informix back end? Does it make any difference for developing the user interface, word automation (e.g. creating word documents from a query's content) and other VBA-procedures,...?
    Browsing through the forum, I've interpreted that
    - <!post="one should test the odbc thoroughly to be sure long text fields are treated properly",425588>"one should test the odbc thoroughly to be sure long text fields are treated properly"<!/post> (but I don't know how I should test corruption risk... if Informix shouldn't be as stable on this point as SQL Server)
    - <!post="all vba procedures dealing with data should be rewritten to ADO",400711>"all vba procedures dealing with data should be rewritten to ADO"<!/post> .
    Is this true and/or... are there other issues to take care of (besides learning to manage an Informix db :-p)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Informix back-end drawbacks? (XP)

We don't have any experience with Informix, but as long as you have a solid ODBC driver or ADO provider you should be able to work with it virtually the same as if you were using Access or SQL Server attached tables. If you want to use bound forms, then you will definitely want to use ODBC - if the forms are unbound, or if you are doing processing of the data then you can use DAO with ODBC, or ADO to manipulate recordsets and the like.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC - Re: Informix back-end drawbacks? (XP)

Thanks Wendell... I'm already a bit more at my ease now :-)...
    (although I preferred using SQL Server... but one of our it guys told me I should be happy they don't use that... fwiw [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]
    There are already other questions popping up but I will go for a try out first (once we have gone through & digested our pc-'refresh' coming on our way - finally upgrading to Win + Office XP... imagine :-).
    Thanks again,
    Hasse

Super Moderator
    Thanks

ODBC - Re: Informix back-end drawbacks? (XP)

Take the comment about SQL Server with a BIG grain of salt - we use it for a number of our clients, and do remote admin and dozens of other things that you just can't do with Informix (or most other big database products).
    Wendell