Lounger
    Thanks

Customize Standard Toolbar (Word 2002)

How do I customize the "New Blank Document" button on the Standard Toolbar to look at a different document? I think I've seen this post before, but I don't know what to search for.

Thanks
    Carol

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customize Standard Toolbar (Word 2002)

The model for the blank new document is the template Normal.dot, its default location (in Windows XP) is

Cocuments and Settings<yourname>Application DataMicrosoftTemplates

Note: the Application Data folder is hidden, so make sure that you display hidden files and folders if you go looking for it.

You can open Normal.dot in Word, modify it the way you need (for example add or edit styles, change the page setup, etc.), then save it. Warning: if you enter text in Normal.dot, it'll be part of every blank new document you create!

Lounger
    Thanks

Actually I wanted to copy the New Blank Document button and assign a different template to it. A template with landscape orientation just to paste screen dumps and then close without saving. Instead, I see now that if you do File-New and pick a General Template, the task pane disappears. I thought it stayed open and I didn't want it to do that.

Thank you for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can write a macro that creates a document from a specific template. If you store the macro in a module in your Normal.dot, it'll be available whenever you use Word. The macro could look like this:

Sub NewDocFromTemplate()
    Documents.Add "Test.dot"
    End Sub

Substitute the appropriate template name. If the template is not in your User Templates or Workgroup Templates folder, you need to specify the path too.

Switch back to Word.
    Select Tools | Customize...
    Activate the Commands tab.
    Select Macros in the list of Categories.
    Select your macro (it'll probably be listed as something like Normal.Module1.NewDocFromTemplate)
    Drag it to the Standard toolbar.
    Close the Customize dialog.

You can control the way the task pane behaves with the free add-in available at Controlling the Task Pane, even when add-ins are present. There is also a version for Excel.

Lounger
    Thanks

Done. Thank you. Works perfectly.