Mist

HTML Messages won't print pictures with IE 5.5

I have Outlook 2000 and IE 5.5. When I try to print HTML messages containing pictures, the message will print correctly, but the picture gets replaced with the place holder that looks like a box with an "X" in it. I found an MS Knowledge Base Article recognizing the problem, but I couldn't get their suggested workaround to work. (They suggested saving as an HTML doc, opening it in IE and printing from there.) Does anyone have any suggested workarounds (aside from having to copy and paste into a Word doc, which wouldn't print my Outlook heading)? Thanks sooo much!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HTML Messages won't print pictures with IE 5.5

Are you online, meaning on the Internet, when you try to print the messages? It seems that IE is having trouble rendering your messages when it runs as part of Outlook.

It's also possible that your IE settings are to "Work Offline" which would cause the pictures to (not) render that way.

And of course, you could always fire up the Detect and Repair option in teh Help menu, but since it is IE that is your problem, that probably won't get it for you.
    -Mark

Mist

I was online when I was trying to do it. I tried it with Outlook closed and I even tried it working offline just for kicks. So far, nothing is working. I'd greatly appreciate any more ideas! Thanks.

Thanks

What printer and operating system?

Mist

It's in a network...but it happens on both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Pro. It also happens on all three of our printers: Lexmark Optra S1650, Lexmark Optra T614, and Lexmark Optra S1855

rtimai

Interesting problem. No solution, but here are some possible additional clues for the others. The symptom Mist describes occurs consistently on my stand-alone system (IMO mode) with a Canon BJC-210. So, it doesn't seem related to network privileges or printer models.

As a test, I right-clicked, saved to the local disk an image in Woody's ACCESS Watch, then selected Edit Message, and reset the image to the local copy, and the image still does not print out -- this time even the placeholder (the original dimensions of the graphic) does not appear around the "x" box icon.)

Oddly enough, I've sent pages (include web graphics option selected) to a friend who insists on using Navigator 4.7 and Netscape Communicator e-mail, and he doesn't seem to have any problem printing out the HTML message with graphics on his HP laser.

Roger

Thanks

In IE:
    Tools | Options | Advanced > Printing
    Are you selecting to print "Background pictures.."?
    Go through all the settings in IE - even the ones you think are totally irrational - and check nothing looks odd. I have a suspicion IE may be the culprit - I believe the margin settings here affect printing Outlook emails (thinking about your extra page problem, here!)

Mist

I wasn't selecting to print background pictures, but once I selected that, it didn't fix the problem. The pictures aren't even being displayed on the screen in IE. They are just replaced with the little "X" box. I briefly checked the other settings and so far haven't found anything of any use, but I'll keep looking. (The margin settings were fine in IE too)