Thread: CAD laptops

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CAD laptops

Anyone out there using laptops for CAD work? Some of the architects are starting to request them, and I'm worried that to give them anything that can handle Architectural Desktop 4, I will have to basically give them a suticase full of bricks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: CAD laptops

What are the System requirements, I have not found any link to the OEM webpage?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Requirements for ADT? Basically as much muscle as you can throw at it. Fast non-home use CPU, lots of Ram, fast disks, hardware accelerated video with lots of Ram.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thats not much of a answer.
    As I am a retired CAD user, and started using these programs in the late 70's.
    So can you give us a link to the ADT program?

I am curently running three CAD programs on my laptop. True 2 of them are older versions of SolidEdge and MicroStation, but the lastest is a free copy of the Alibre Design Xpress 3D Solid Modeler. All run just fine on my Sony PCG-K47.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[quote]Thats not much of a answer.

You seem to have taken offense and expect an apology, so I'm sorry.

Please don't bother yourself further. I do not want to give further offense.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you're speaking of this Architectural Desktop, then I'd say any current technology notebook will run the software. You'll get better performance of course, if you buy the beefier machines (more RAM, more VideoRAM, etc...).

If I was looking for a notebook to run a CAD package, I'd certainly want something with a lot of screen real estate. I personally love to use 1600 x 1200 (or similar) resolutions when working with most graphic software. I'd also look for a notebook with a numeric keypad, or at the very least, a cheap external keypad.
    Christopher Baldrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't use it for CAD, but take a look at these: http://www.chem-tron.net/. I have the Proven 3900, complete with 17" screen and built in numeric keypad. Weighs quite a bit but is a spectacular machine and well worth toting around.
    Charlotte

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Is price an object? Have you evaluated what the field engineers' needs are yet? Frankly, I'd be looking at anything that houses an AMD Athlon 64 (Turion) at the core. You can always add RAM later if you find it's necessary. Granted, the video chipset is also a major factor, but in notebooks your choices are far more limited than in a desktop equivalent. Nearly everything in a laptop is slower and smaller than a desktop. Fast disks usually means 5400 RPM, lots of RAM is a minimum of 512... perhaps a test system would help in your evaluation process.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I run Rhino/Flamingo/Matrix, 3-d modeling with a rendering plug-in and a scripting and libary plug-in.I have been using a Dell M60 for the last 2 years. 7 pound brick, Pentium M, 7200rpm harddrive, 2 gigs of ram, 15.4in widescreen,128mb nVidia Quadro video card (currently slightly overclocked with modded drivers from LaptopVideo2Go http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ . The current Dell model is the M70 with a 256mb vid card and more and or faster in the other specs as well. They are available with either a sxga+ (1680x1050) or uxga (1900x1200) screen resolution. I will be buying a dual core replacement (M80?) when they are available. Hopefully December or sometime in the first quarter of 06. Rule of thumb is, go as fast as you can afford. If your software can run on a Mac I would hope you would look at that option as well. Personally for a notebook I would not go to a 17in screen unless you have a desire to see your chiropractor regularly as they generally weigh in at 10-12 pounds.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My brother has a "desktop-replacement" notebook from Acer, the Aspire 9500. I think it is the 9504
    17.0" display with 1 GB memory (2 GB max), ATI 256 MB, quick 120 GB HDD. His primarily use is real estate finance etc, but also CAD, doesn't know which program though. Had a brief look at it 4 weeks ago, seems really nice.

Regards,
    Argus