Thread: Time

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time

I have a need to endure that the correct time and date are displayed on reports. I have a problem with people resetting their computer settings to generate a date of their liking. I have accessed the server for its date and time, but have found that depending on the individuals profile they might not link to the same server perameters as I am calling for in the code. My question: Is there any way to access a web site from code to determine correct time and date? I have heard that there are several "official" web sites tracking time. I am looking to access these site and use that information to set the dates of the reports.

We are using Office 97 through SR2.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Time

There are sites like that behind the World Clock link at the top of the screen, and here's a link to a to keep your clock synced and another to an <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.certifiedtime.com/>NIST clock download to keep your computer synced.

The problem you're going to have is that the built-in date and time functions use the system date/time, and generally it isn't considered polite to change system settings from an application without the user's permission. However, it is not unusual to have networks force a time on their attached workstations, so that might be an answer.

I would question, though, why you need such precise information in your reports.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is that the environment that this program exists requires current information. There are several people using the program who consistantly roll back their system clocks to give the perseption that the reports/work to generate the reports happened prior to certain key signatures needed on paperwork. This stuff is audited regularly. We are using NT4.0 and have for the most part taken that ability away from the majority of the employees through NT security. The problem employees are required to be administrators and have realized as such are allowed to change ther settings. I don't think I have a requirement to be up to the second, but just to keep anyone from rolling the dates back several weeks. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate them. I don't do the IT here where I work but am just the developer of this program which has taken off and progressed far more than anticipated and am trying to keep pace. The program prices out contract changes and this really becomes an issue when the change is authorized and there is no pricing data to back up the price the contractor submits. I am hoping by doing this, all required information will be present and on time should an audit take place.

Thanks for your help and response to my post.
    Kevin

Thanks

Hi,
    To the best of my knowledge, it is possible with NT to give people admin rights to most things but remove their rights to change the system time - if you're a member of multiple groups NT should use the most restrictive permissions. You may have difficulty convincing the IT department that it's worth their while though, and if the users are actually logged in as 'administrator' it won't work.
    FWIW.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel