Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator Priviledges (WinXP SP/2)

My slave computer shows a link to the shared master folder in My Computer/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/MSHome/Share Folder for Master Computer. When I try to open the share folder to see connections to printers and files I get the error message: "(Computer Name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource...(then) the network path was not found".

I have also gotten the error message that the slave does not have administrative priviledges to access the master's shared objects.

Yhe home network is cabled and the internet connection is shared without a problem...any ideas on how the slave can access the master's shared object...Thanks....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Administrator Priviledges (WinXP SP/2)

1. On Slave computer, did you configure Local Area Connection properly? (Usually Network Setup wizard does this job.)
    2. On Slave computer, did you share the Share Folder, creating a new share (not default one started with $ sign)? Did you set full permissions for your user account on Master computer or for Everyone?
    3. Did you check Windows Firewall settings (in Control Panel | Security Center | Advanced), allowing full access for Local Area Connection?
    4. Do you have any other firewall programs running? Did you check settings for Local Connection?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding, but a lightning strick knocked out my ISP's cable connection...

Still no luck in getting my shared files/printers to show on the slave computer....Everything was working o.k., untl I had to reinstall WinXP and I till can see nothing..I get the error message, on the slave computer, "Ernie (Computer Name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource" the "the network path was not found"..however, the internet connect works fine..

I shut off the Windows firewall and there are no other firewall programs installed....I don't see any Security Center/Advanced, options to check if there is full access for local area connection..Am I looking in the right place...anyhow, it looks as if I need to change some settings to allow for full access of local area connections...any ideas on how I might do this....Thanks.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see any Security Center/Advanced, options to check if there is full access for local area connection

Mea culpa! Click Start | Control Panel | Security Center, on Security Center window slide down until you will see "Windows Firewall" link at the bottom and click on it. Windows Firewall dialog will open, then click Advanced tab, etc.

I get the error message, on the slave computer, "Ernie (Computer Name) is not accessible"

On the computer you want to connect to (Ernie), open Windows Explorer (for example, pressing Windows and E keys on the keyboard simultaneously), then on the left pane right-click "My Network Places" and from pop-up menu select Properties. Network Connections window will open. On the left pane of the window click "Create a new connection" link and follow the wizard.

To share a folder, on Windows Explorer right-click a folder you want to share and from pop-up menu select "Sharing and security". <Folder name> Properties window will open. Under "Network sharing and security", if you see "If you understand the security risks..." link, click on it. Then you can choose to use the wizard to share the folder or just enable the sharing. In this case and also if you already enabled file sharing on this computer, check "Share this folder on the network" checkbox and choose a name for the share. If you want users to put their files to the share folder (and not just "seeing" it), check "Allow network users to change my files" checkbox also. Click Apply, OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, but was working with someone else re your suggestions...no luck....Is it possible the problem is in Group Policies (gpedit,msc) as everything here relating to network sharing seems to be prohibited. Before messing around with this, do you have any suggestions as to what Group Policies might be enable (and should they be enable in both the master and slave computers)...any suggestions would be appreciates and Thanks for the help...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I checked How To Share/How to Set Permission for Folders....but the How To procedures looks like different than what MS explains, e.g., When I go from Windows Explorer to my shares (e:Share) I can see the shared files and printers, but when I right click on Properties I get two tab options, i.e., General and Shortcut, but not Security which the Hot To explains...Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong as the Security Section seems to be the one I would want to modify for changing permission?? Thanks for the prompt response....

Administrator
    Thanks

The Security tab is only available for NTFS drives. Are yours FAT32?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I recently switched from FAT32 to NTFS...Partition Magic says they are NTFS drives...??!!

Administrator
    Thanks

XP Pro or Home?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP Pro v. 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail) w/ Service Pack 2, English (United States)....Let me know if you need any other info....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you clear the checkbox from
    Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Use Simple file sharing

and try again.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In addition, you need to unclick "display simple folder view in Explorer's folder list" and then the Security tab is displayed...couldn't find any obvious problem with security settings, e.g., Group or UserNames is Everyone and Permissions for Everyong were all checed (except for Special Permissions), but boxes were greyed with checks..Advanced Permission Entries were: Allow; everyone; full control; inhereted from Parent Object. .. Under Effective Permissions the Group or UserName is blank and the list of Effective Permissions is clear and grey. Object Types seems mysterious (with Groups and Users checked but no name for either) "Enter Object name to select" is blank.

I entered my User Name in Effective Permissions but list of Permissions still remain checked but grey...it looks to me that permission are probably o.k., but my slave computer can only "see" shared objects on itself...no share objects printer/files from the master computer (although the Internet Connection is stil share)...again, any ideas would be appreciated...Thanks for the help....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As a postscript to my previous message: when I open Microsoft WIndows Network on the slave computer I get two networks, i.e., MSHome ( supposedly the network I am using and the shared objects from the slave computer are shown here) and WorkGrouop ( which references my network but not objects just the unable to access error)...on the master computer My Network Places shows files share on the slave computer (but not the printer) along with shared folders and CD/DVD drive (but not printers) from the Master computer...This will work as I have a shared folder on the Slave (which shows on both compujters which I can used to transfer files from the Master to Slave...However I can't figure out why each computer is on seperate networks (MSHome and WorkGroup)...maybe if I can get them on the same network that will solve the problem...???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The "Network" is the computer's workgroup name. You can change this by Right Clicking My Computer, then Properties > Computer Name > Change...

StuartR

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast