Star Lounger
    Thanks

E mail providers (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) (Outlook 2003 11)

I'm contemplating switching to web-based E-mail, so that I can change ISP's at will.

Pardon my ignorance, but if I want to be able to read my E-mail in Outlook (instead of going to the website), is this synonymous with POP 3 access? If I don't do this and get my E-mail directly from the website, can I download some of it to Outlook, or does it all stay on the website's server?

Any particular cautions regarding Yahoo or Hotmail? Any other great web mail provider out there?

Thanks.

Joel

PS I have Outlook 2003 Version 11.5608.5606

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: E mail providers (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) (Outlook 2003 11)

I would stay away from the web based emails.

To insure that you would NEVER have to change, buy your own domain name and have it hosted with a provider that provides POP3 email servers. These providers are out there from about $2.99 US a month and up including the domain name.

I use 1and1.com

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: E mail providers (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) (Outlo

I have used Outlook with Yahoo and gmail - the latter is probably preferable because of the allowed storage space.

You can access both with Outlook using POP3 - simply set Outlook to "leave a copy on the server" of all downloaded emails and you be able to access them again as webmail.
    You can also set Outlook to delete emails from the server when you delete them locally, but bear in mind emails you send with Outlook will *not* appear in your web-based Sent Items. (You can get round this by always BCC'ing yourself if you need a copy, but you will end up with another copy in your Outlook inbox.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't want your own domain, another alternative is bigfoot - which charges for the service. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. Since the goal is a "permanent" address, any informed speculation on the relative stability of Yahoo vs. 1&1 vs. bigfoot?

joel

Thanks

You've got two different things here:

Yahoo is going to be around for a while. Even if Yahoo is absorbed by Microsoft or AOL or someone else down the road, they surely will not discard the well-known Yahoo domain.

The idea with 1&1, on the other hand, is that for $6/year (North American customers) you will own the domain itself (e.g., joelsplace.com), which you can move among providers if you become dissatisfied with 1&1's service or future pricing. As long as the domain name rules don't change drastically, and you don't miss your domain registration payment, it is as permanent as anything else.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I second that. I use 1and1 for several domains and I've never had an issue that wasn't fixed super fast.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two questions about "owning the domain itself":

What would I have to do (other than paying yearly fees) to "maintain" the domain?

What happens to incoming E-mail if 1&1, or another party that sets up the domain for me, goes bankrupt? Is the E-mail still "out there" somewhere where a subsequent domain-providing company can get it? Or would it be on the (disconnected?) servers of the of 1&1?

joel

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You own the domain name and can be MOVED to any provider (host).

You should also have a "Home" page for your domain as a minimum.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

To maintain an email account there are two services that often are bundled together: one is the domain registration and the other is the mailbox. As each service provider has a different deal, you will need to read their terms carefully.

In the event of bankruptcy in the U.S., the business usually keeps operating for a while as the creditors dismantle and sell off the parts of the company. Assuming you hear about it in the news or from the company, you should have time to rescue your mail and move your domain. In the event of any other kind of outage, it is likely that your mail that you left on the server would be inaccessible to you, and any new messages sent will be undeliverable and returned to the sender.

While 1&1 is charging low prices at present, it is part of a large German conglomerate (United Internet), so I don't anticipate that financial problems will affect their end users. They'd probably raise their prices first!