Thread: upgrade issues

Star Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade issues

Hi,

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro with all the upgrades and security patches up-to-date. Till now I've been content with W2000 and able to do all I want. However, I've now decided to get back into photography and naturally, I'm going digital. A lot of the high end imaging programs require Windows XP. In your view should I: 1) stay with Windows 2000 and look for older versions of the imaging sofware, 2) bit the bullet and upgrade to Windows XP--the main reason I've avoided this for so long is I hate activation but it looks like I've lost that war, 3) wait and get Windows Vista in the new year?

I know this isn't exactly a Windows 2000 question but I'm not sure where else to put it?

Bruce

Thanks

Re: upgrade issues

Personally I would bite the bullet. I can't see any advantage in finding, installing and maintaining 'older versions' of imaging software!

I think I'll move this from W2K to the XP forum as I think you'll get more responses in there from those who may have already moved on to XP.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Leif. All in all, I've been satisfied with Windows XP. It'll probably be a year or so until Windows Vista appears, so unless you want to wait that long, I'd install Windows XP SP-2.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Leif and Hans and think you should get XP Pro. The current day software that "requires" XP is worth having, especially for graphics work. You know how it goes in MS Land - the next version of an OS might be quite a ways off...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Here is another one in agreement, get XP.

The NEW OS from MS was Beta released to the developers only about a month ago. So it will be a few months before it will be released to the general Beta testers. In the past the new OS's were in the hands of the Beta testers for at least 6 months.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

MS is targeting Vista to be available to the public in time for the holiday buying season of 2006. It will have significantly higher hardware requirements than Win2k or WinXP to take full advantage of all the currently planned features. So, if you want to get into something now you should definitely go with XP. Why bother trying to hunt up old versions of software now? Keep in mind that about a year from now you'll be seeing a big blitz on Vista.

Joe
    Joe