Lounger
    Thanks

Page ends in a word document (XP)

First of all apologies if this has been covered but I can't find a result.

I have a 176 page word document which I've formatted with 12 pt auto spacing after each paragraph. There are quite a few footnotes in the document. Problem is about 12 or 13 of the pages end mid para with quite a bit of white space, ie plenty of room for the para not to split. Hope I'm explaining this okay. Because it's a confidential file (I work from home) I can't attach an example of what I mean. In line and page breaks I've unticked widow/orphan control, keep with next and keep lines together (for the whole document). Sorry if this is too simple but I'm just about pulling my hair out.

Thanks - Kathy

Thanks

Re: Page ends in a word document (XP)

My first guess is that the break was caused by Word wanting to keep the footnote together, hence forcing the relevant part of the paragraph to the next page. I think there have been some threads on how to prevent footnotes from breaking across pages and perhaps they would show how to force them to break so that there is less "wasted" space.

If the paragraph breaks do not appear to be caused by footnotes, perhaps someone else will have some guesses?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for quick response...I don't THINK it's caused by the footnotes as some of the pages the paragraphs are splitting on only have a few, yet there's others with quite a lot of footnotes and those para ends are fine.

I chose to deselect "widow/orphan control" "keep with next line" etc as the document will eventually be printed in book form and I want all the pages to end in same spot, - I have tried re-ticking those options to see if it makes a difference but no luck so perhaps it is something to do with footnotes - I'll check that out a bit more...thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you create a copy of the document, replace the text with dummy text, then attach the copy (zipped if necessary)?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans - I have no idea how to create this dummy doc you're talking about - normally I'd search the web but I'm running out of time. Is it easy to replace so much text?
    Kathy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume it wouldn't be necessary to attach a 176 page document; a few pages should be sufficient, as long as they demonstrate the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans - obviously been straining my brain too long on this problem - it's just when you asked me to zip it I was thinking the whole thing.

But I now think it is something to do with the footnotes (as person in first response suggested) as when I copied few pages to a test doc and replaced footnote text with single words (ie much shorter) the para split in the main doc disappeared - I'll have to start checking out footnote angle of things...thanks for the help...Kathy.

Kathy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck! I hope you'll be able to solve it.

Lounger
    Thanks

It's definitely the footnotes causing the main text to split - I looked more closely at the footnotes and realise the page AFTER the page where the para splits inappropriately has a lot of footnotes - I was making the mistake of looking at the page where the split started. if I make the footnotes not "together" the text is fine. I'd really prefer the footnotes to be on their appropriate page as well but at least I'm getting somewhere I guess - thanks to both of you for the responses.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a silly thought...

If word pulled the rest of your paragraph to the earlier page, would it also have to pull a footnote back with it?

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart - yes it seems the footnotes have to be split (ie not on their appropriate page) or the paras will split in an inappropriate spot. Obviously the paras splitting isn't a professional look so even though I would think HAS to be a way for both the paras and the footnotes to do what I want, I'm picking the lesser of two evils (ie split footnotes). I've spent ages trying to fix it - my last resort is to to try and talk client into endnotes at the end of each chapter - ie take the easy way out.

Thanks - Kathy