Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 SR1a RT on Terminal Server

I tried installing Access 2000 SR1 Runtime from the Developer CD using the transform file termsrvr_art.mst provided by Microsoft but it continually runs the Windows Installer whenever I open my Access 2000 database. Installation of the full version doesn't cause any problems. The same runtime version can be installed on Windows 2000 without terminal server with no problems.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation and found a way to install AccessRT on a Windows 2000 box WITH terminal server? I'd appreciate hearing from you. I opened a technical support call with Microsoft but their solution was to install the full version. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 SR1a RT on Terminal Server

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why *would* you want to install a runtime app on a Terminal Server box?
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Two reasons for installing as runtime for us are (1) licensing and (2) stopping end-users from being able to make any modifications to our production database ... it's a Citrix server being used in a plant environment. Thanks for replying!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Then I don't quite understand what you're doing. Normally, you create a setup and install an *application*, including the runtime engine. That is not the same thing as "installing the runtime" from the CD. The runtime on the CD is intended to be included in a setup, not to be installed as an engine. Which one are you trying to do?
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps we're getting this very wrong - we're new to the Windows 2000/Terminal Server environment! We were trying to install the Access RT from the CD in the same way we run Word Viewer, Powerpoint Viewer, etc. to enable users to view information without being able to edit it. It worked on the Windows 2000 PC as long as Terminal Server wasn't installed. The users who created the database are not programmers/developers so they wouldn't know how to compile including the Access RT.

Does this make any sense? Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well! Thanks for your assistance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I see the confusion. The Access runtime is *not* a viewer. It is the Access database engine but without some of the full version's capabilities. That means that it has to be installed on each machine that uses it, not just on the server.
    Charlotte

sabrantley0623

I have had problems doing this as well. However, I went to Microsoft's web site, and you cannot by default install a package created with the P & D Wizard on a Terminal Services server. You do have to make modifications to a particular file. I followed their directions, but to date it has not worked. Their documentation is rather poor & confusing.