Thanks

Macros Disabled (MSO 2003)

I apologize for being really obtuse on this, but I ain't getting it:

Just last night, I imported my (Module 1) macros into my Outlook install... And (of course) they didn't work. I was told they were disabled.

OK, so I created a signature, which I then signed the macs with, nada. Then since I had exported the macros form a working set I deleted the vbaproject file, and imported the module file into the editor, saved it, and... Nada...

Then, I'm not sure what the heck I did over the next several minutes, but, suddenly, it worked. I was nothing direct like changing the security level, or modifying the security in explorer.

By worked / not worked I mean actually the the macros were enabled / disabled.

Assuming for the sake of this numbskull, that you have a new install with no macros, and you have the exported bas file from a prior install.

Isn't there some (set) procedure that will allow you to import (transfer) macros without having any disabled issue arise?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks

Re: Macros Disabled (MSO 2003)

I have my security set on Medium. Every time I start Outlook, it asks me whether I want to Enable Macros in "This Outlook Session." That's how I handle it.

Thanks

Jefferson:

Even THAT would be OK. But when I go to run ANY macro, I'm told that macros are disabled, and cannot be run... At all. It says to refer to the "Help" for instructions, which I have been digging for now for ages...

They tell you how to set them up, but NOT disable or enable them.

I know once the message box comes up, and you can do the "trust all from this person" choice. But how the heck do you get to that box?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

The "Enable Macros" dialog/setting is global and is asked either when you start Outlook or when you try to run the first macro. After setting the new security level, exit and restart Outlook so that it takes effect.

Regarding trusting macros from a particular person, I haven't used that feature.

Thanks

Jefferson:

So if the "Enable Macros" feature is unavailable, can I then access it by changing the security level ( and then changing it back, since I really want to keep the same level)?

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks

Using "Medium" only for one session is of no use to you. As soon as you change the level back to "High," you will be back where you started. I can't help you with that.

Thanks

Jefferson:

Remember, as of this moment, my macros are able to run...

Now, I just went and changed my Security setting from "High" to "Medium", but no choice or selection appeared.

There's gotta be some trigger or registry setting that causes the "Enable/Disable" switch, and maybe it's tied into the "Do you want to allow" dialog.

I just wish I knew even where to look...

I must've flunked my Library Resources class, 'cause I'm sure as heck falling short finding answers here...

Somebody ought to set up a site of "All the tings you need to know that are impossible to find answers for"...

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks

Chuck:
    <font color=red>From Outlook 2003 Help:</font color=red> "Security Because macros can contain viruses, be careful about running them. Take the following precautions: run up-to-date antivirus software on your computer; set your macro security level to high; clear the Trust all installed add-ins and templates check box; use digital signatures; maintain a list of trusted publishers.

To perform these procedures, you must have Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later installed on your computer.

Do one of the following:

Add a macro developer to the list of trusted publishers

If you haven't already done so, set the macro (macro: An action or a set of actions you can use to automate tasks. Macros are recorded in the Visual Basic for Applications programming language.) security level to Medium or High.

How?

On the Tools menu, click Options.
    Click the Security tab.
    Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
    [Chuck - on my version of OL, click on Tools>Macro>Security - I think the above may be incorrect]
    Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you want to use.
    Open the file or load the add-in (add-in: A supplemental program that adds custom commands or custom features to Microsoft Office.) that contains macros certified by the macro developer that you want to add to the list.
    In the Security Warning box, select the Always trust macros from this publisher check box.
    Note If the Security Warning box does not display the Always trust macros from this publisher check box, the macros are not digitally signed (digital signature: An electronic, encryption-based, secure stamp of authentication on a macro or document. This signature confirms that the macro or document originated from the signer and has not been altered.). You cannot add this macro developer to the list of trusted sources without a digital signature."

There's more help regarding this topic as well. In the "type a question for help" box, enter "trusted publishers"
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

John:

Thanks for the help...

But if I check the macro, and it IS signed (I wrote it AND signed it) AND it shows as signed, then why can't I /won't it enable?

This is what ALWAYS happens... And SOMEHOW I'm able to get past it -- like right now -- but I cannot tell how.

Therefore, I cannot tell how I got into the problem in the first place, nor how to count on getting out again...

What I need to find is someone who made the same (stupid) mistake that found out the how or why...

Maybe it's just re-starting enough times, or a proper sequence of the given events. It's just my instant that software that seems to be persnickety is just being particular, which is great, if there's some set of rules somewhere for such scenes. And there is, because it is exactly these rules that the software is following to cause this problem ITFP.

I'll keep looking... It's gotta be here somewhere...

Chuck