3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook and Tables (outlook 2000)

A co-worker received an email that the sender had cut and pasted a table from Word into it. Whne he tried to print it, the bottom part of the table did not print on another page. Whe he forwarded the email to me, and I printed it, I got even less of what was in the table.

It seems that when printing in Outlook, it does not know how to handle the printing of tables if it requires more than one page. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

Re: Outlook and Tables (outlook 2000)

Is this an HTML or an RTF format message? In HTML, it is possible to code a part of the document so that overflow is discarded. Not sure why anyone would do that intentionally, however. Perhaps Outlook carried over some Word formatting about not breaking apart the rows and this had unintended consequences in Outlook. Without examining the message, though, it is difficult to debug.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is an RTF message.

I also tried it by creating a table in Word with no special formatting. When message was printed it only went part way through the table and stopped printing.

Another interesting fact that if this message is forwarded to others less of the table will print. You get who the message was sent to, but it appears that the new addressee pushes the table down further allowing less of the table to be printed.

If you want to see what is happening create a simple table in Word (use =rand function to make sure it is at least two pages in length), copy it into the body of an email and then print. The email will print to bottom of one page, but will not (at least in our version) will not continue to print through the table to the second page.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like it's an embedded file and only the visible part of fthe object is printing. See if double-clicking will open it in Word; if so print it from there.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The point is that the person wanted all of the email printed, not just the Word portion. The sender included the Word portion along with other information in the email that is necessary to be placed in a file.

My question is not really about getting the Word portion printed, but whether or not Outlook has trouble printing tables when they are in the body of the email.

thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I just created a 180 line table in Word, pasted it into a new RTF message, sent it to myself, and it all printed, including the signature after the table portion, no truncation. So my answer would be 'no, Outlook does not have problems printing pasted tables in RTF format'.

Your OP stated "bottom part of the table did not print on another page". Are you now saying that the message text does not print, only the table text?

The point of my comment earlier was to ask if it is embedded as opposed to pasted - if it opens in Word when double-clicked, it's embedded. I know that not all of an embedded Excel file will display, and only the visible portion will print. I would expect the same to be true of Word. That may not be the problem you have, I was suggesting that you test it.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Looking at this, could this be a printer setting issue? I ask because you get a different print to them! Could you set yours/his/her print setting to A3 and then see if all of it printed?

This is not a solution, more of a possible explanation/solution.
    Jerry