Thanks

Inserting Excel Spreadsheet (Word XP Pro)

I have a Word document in which I want to include an Excel spreadsheet and I would like the Word document to update whenever the spreadsheet is changed. When I use Insert Object / spreadsheet, it works but the inserted spreadsheet is larger than one page and anything leftover just goes off into never never land. I tried using Insert File. This brings in the spreadsheet as a table. This works fine, except that every time the spreadsheet is changed, I have to manually delete then re-insert into the Word doc. I am not an Excel user and know only a few basics. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Excel Spreadsheet (Word XP Pro)

- Open the workbook in Excel.
    - Select only the range you want to see in the Word document (should fit on one page).
    - Copy to the clipboard.
    - Switch to the Word document.
    - Position the insertion point where you want the table.
    - Select Edit | Paste Special...
    - Click the option Paste Link.
    - You can choose between several different formats:
    - To preserve the Excel formatting, select Microsoft Excel worksheet object.
    - To insert as a Word table, select Formatted text (RTF)
    - Click OK.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,

If you copy the area of the worksheet you're interested in and then switch to Word, using Edit|Paste Special gives you the option of linking to the worksheet and choosing various paste formats. You might find that one of the non-workbook options will satisfy your needs. If not, you'll need to do multiple Copy/Edit|Paste Special 'link' processes, each one representing as much of the Excel worksheet as will fit onto a page in Word.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried different variations but Word insists on trying to keep the worksheet together in a block (it is 2-1/2 pages long). Whatever doesn't fit on the page just disappears off the bottom of the page. Oh well. Thankfully this is not something I do very often, so I can do as my first idea. Which is to revise the worksheet and then insert it into Word as a table.