Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Which 'users' can be removed? (Pro SP2)

Having inherited a PC which is on a Windows 2003 domain, there are a number of "users" in Documents in Setting which I would like to remove, but only the ones which would cause no problems. Please see the attachment, where PC15 is the name of the PC and GCVS is the name of the domain. Which entries can I remove without problems?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Which 'users' can be removed? (Pro SP2)

John,

These are not "users" they are user profiles.

Once upon a time...
    Administrator.GCVS was the domain admin's profile
    Administrator.PC15 was the local administrator's profile
    Default User and LocalService were local profiles that were created early in the installation, before the computer name is known.

It looks as though someone has installed Windows over the top of an existing installation, the new installation created:
    Administrator.PC15.000 for the local administrator's profile
    Default User.Windows etc. for local profiles created before the computer name was known.
    At this stage the previous versions of those profiles are probably not in use

I hope that helps.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Yes, I meant user profiles! And you're right about the reinstall, for I was told of it.

Are you saying anything, but anything, with .<something> after it can be removed?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Don't remove anything with .xxx after it. The ones ending .000 are almost certainly the ones that are currently being used.

The ones you can remove are those that don't have .000 if there is a different one with .000
    You can also remove the ones without .WINDOWS if there is a different one with .WINDOWS

It's probably safest to move them somewhere out of the way and try logging to all your accounts first, just in case.

You can double check which ones are in use by looking in the registry under HKEY_USERSS-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer Shell Folders

StuartR