Star Lounger
    Thanks

Collaboration features (Post 2000)

I'm currently still using office 2000, but wondering whether any of the newer office features (eg sharepoint services etc) have a solution for my collaboration needs. I work on large documents with several chapters and would like a feature where each collaborator could work on their own chapter at the same time.

I don't want a system where anyone can change anything - that leads to too much reconcilliation work - even if the system does flag the paragraphs needing reconciliation. Rather, I want a system where I can check out a chapter so that other people know not to work on it. A check-out system combined with the old master document feature would work (if it _did_ work).

My reading of the MS website suggests that sharepoint does not yet provide what I want. Is this indeed the case?

Thanks

Re: Collaboration features (Post 2000)

Sharepoint doesn't do it? I thought it did, but maybe not with Office 2000.

We use WORLDOX, which maintains index and lock files on your file server to enforce check-outs. It integrates with Word and Excel 2000+ using global templates. More information: WORLDOX Document Management System (we actually don't use this latest release yet).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think it does check-in-out, but what I need is a check in and out of _sections_ of documents (eg chapters). I then need to have the parts linked together in some way (eg for numbering, contents pages and printing).

Thanks

In that situation, it probably would be best to keep the chapters in separate documents. Or try a content management system, most of which are oriented toward generating web content.