Thread: windows me

Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows me

hello,

a friend got a pc with widows millenium on it but without cd. Sometimes the complete installation cd is copied / put onto the hard disk by the vendor. I would like to have some suggestions on the naming of that installation copy. When we could find it he then can mare a copy on cd and the registration id we can find in the register settings.
    All ideas are welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: windows me

That depends entirely on the original vendor. Sometimes it is in a hidden partition which is accessible when you boot. Often there is a utility to create a CD. Have you checked the vendor website?

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One popular method is to copy all the OS's files into a hard drive directory with CAB or CABS in its name. Look for that either at the root or under Windows. Failing that, try looking for a directory like WinME or some form like that. You could also search the harddrive for "setup.exe" and see how many of those you find, or ".cab" for that matter. Other than that, I dunno unless you take Joe's suggestion and Google around the web.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello,

how does one let this hidden partition show up as it will not be seen in the explorer?
    I know it is really a tricky question I am asking but sometimes vendors could have worldwide habits concerning pc.

Thank you,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK that is an excellent action to take. I just need some ideas to get around as I am not familiar with ME and what better place than this to get some guidance.

Thanks you from both of us,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think Joe is still here, so let me take a stab AND ask a question. First, the question. Who is the vendor or OEM who manufactured the computer and perhaps someone can speak from experience with their technique? Depending on the vendor there could be multiple or different methods used to create "special" partitions. As Joe said, when you boot such a PC there is usually a moment or two where you might get to see some instruction on setup or installation. One simple test you could use to SEE if there is such a partition would be to boot the computer from a boot floppy and run the FDISK command. DON'T change anything while there, just "view" the disk to see if it reveals any "non-DOS" or hidden partition. If you see no such indication, there's a fair chance that none exists and you'll be on your own as to the OS files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

hello,

ok starting up and running Fdisk is not a problem. The vendor I have to ask when I see or hear form my friend. For the moment we don't have classes? We are on the same evening course hardware and he has my phone but I cannot reach him for the moment. Next week class starts over again but he called me this afternoon. So I am working ahead you see.

thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're not successful in your search for the OS files, Jan, there is another approach. Assuming the machine is in "clean" working order, your friend could make a backup IMAGE of the computer in its current state, save that image for the possible time when it might be used to restore the machine. Of course this requires the use of a third-party imaging program which I don't know if you have, such as TrueImage or Norton Ghost. On my WinME installation, which is pretty un-touched, the total space used on the hard drive is under 600 megabytes, a backup of which would easily fit on a CD. Just another thought for consideration. (I can't help but make a plug for backup imaging software. I would be lost without it!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have ME...OEM from eMachines, it came with the cd. No 'hidden' partition at all...have found where the installation (setup.exe) for the ME was kept in the directory C:WINDOWSOPTIONSCABS. -
    Hope this is of any use for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images