Star Lounger
    Thanks

Detect & repair error/windows installer (2003 SP2)

Ok, this is weird...perhaps an SP2 problem? Anyone else getting this or is it just me? [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'll bet this is self inflicted, but if it is NOT, please share with me what remedy I might use to fix this.

I have been getting many Outlook crashes lately (the ones where you are prompted to send the error report) when I open certain html email. I got annoyed by it enough...again I thought I'd botched up something with all my add-ins (perhaps a whole other problem) and so this morning hit detect and repair and I get this error message.

Windows Installer

The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

Um...a little help please?

Thanks!
    -Stephen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Detect & repair error/windows installer (2003 SP2)

I believe this means that the original cab files created during the installation of Office 2003 are no longer available.. I recently did a detect & repair on my office 2003 installation and it worked fine. It did not even ask for the original installation CD because I never deleted the office 2003 setup files.

Bill

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info! Do you know how I could repair this?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe, although I'm not certain of this, that you may need the original installation CD to reinstall Microsoft Office. You may want to wait for some other responses from the true experts on this forum regarding this before you go down that path. Doing so will not eliminate any documents or files, but it will change your office settings back to default.

Thanks

Re: Detect & repair error/windows installer (2003

Because Outlook uses various components of Internet Explorer to render HTML messages, you also should consider repairing IE. (Hopefully there are tips on this on the IE board, as I recall that the technique requires something involving repairing Windows.)

First, though, in case it is some kind of strange script or ActiveX control, make sure your security is locked down in Outlook:
    Tools>Options..., Security tab, Zone = Restricted

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Detect & repair error/windows installer (2003

Okey dokey. Thank you. I'll get to repairing IE too. I did work with LIST but it didn't work like I'd hoped....well, in all fairness it did indeed replace my Office CAB files. I still can't run detect and repair in Outlook...still getting the same error : /