3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Sound Device Found

Hi everyone. I need your help once more.

My PC took a bit of a dump today, and in the process of trying to get my sound card working again, I hosed it further and wound up reinstalling XP (gulp). The PC is up and working again, but I still don't have sound (other than the little chirp from the front of the system case). When I open my "sounds, etc." applet in the control panel, it says "No audio device" at the top of the "volume" tab. When I select the "hardware" tab and click on the properties of my Creative SB Live! Value (WDM), it tells me the device is working properly.

What gives? Any ideas?

TIA, Douglas

Thanks

Re: No Sound Device Found

Have you installed the drivers for the SB? Have you followed the "troubleshoot" steps from that same window in Device Manager?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I reinstalled XP last night. Overnight, the system downloaded SP2 which I installed this moring. After all of that, the PC seemed to be working properly with the exception of sound. I looked in the device manager and all of the sound functions reported that they were working properly, but no sound came from the speakers. The Sounds applet in the Control Panel still showed no sound application.

I then reinstalled the SB Live drivers from the original CD. The system prompted me to restart and upon exiting, the speakers played the familiar Windows closing theme. Ah hah, I thought, progress.

Unforetunately, upon rebooting, the system seemed to hang a very long time at the screen after I entered my logon ID and password. Then, when it finally started to drop my icons on my desktop, I noticed something that I had seen yesterday when this all started. The Start bar at the bottom of the screen seemed too narrow and it did not show the quick start icons, nor the icons of the startup programs as they splashed on the larger desktop above. Then I got the following error message:

HP Ai0 Device Object Service
    Register Class Objects failed hRes=0x800706BA
    The RPC server is unavailable
    Maximum attempts exceeded

This error message appeared every time I rebooted yesterday until I reinstalled XP. Now it is back. I also am prompted to feed the Hewlett Packard startup CD into the drive when the system thinks it has found new hardware (our combination printer/fax/copier that has been happily attached via USB for over a year).

I am not sure where to go from here. Any help greatly appreciated.

Douglas

Thanks

I'm not sure what to suggest Douglas. You might want to look at this KB search to see if anything here is applicable. If you have access to another computer, I would suggest that you download the LATEST drivers for both the sound card and the printer/fax/copier. If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm sure they will jump in.

edited to add: Doug, also download and install the latest drivers for your display adapter.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Douglas,

When the system asked for the HP CD, did you supply it?

For RPC server message, go to this MS article. RPC UNAVAILABLE

IF still no joy, I would go into Device manager and uninstall all the Sound items, Power down, remove the sound card, reboot and then power down again. Reinstall the sound card and see how the system responds.
    Install the latest drivers for sound. Then go to Control Panel>sounds and audio devices and check the various options there, making sure the sounds are not muted or turned down too low.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you get to another PC and download the newest drivers for your SB Live! card? When I checked just now, there were two downloads, one of which is a patch for the original driver. If you can burn them to a CD on the other machine, you can then just uninstall the existing drivers and install from the CD. SB Live! 5.1 drivers for XP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The PC with the problem has internet access. The problems continue to frustrate. I cannot print to our USB connected printer because the RPC server is not running. What is the RPC server? Another thing that happens that means nothing to me is that when I try to close down I get an error message saying that the DEVLDR won't close and I have to do it manually.

I have not yet had time to try yanking the sound card, booting, and then reinstalling. I did try to download drivers and install, but my one attempt was not successful. I will try again.

Douglas

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RPC (Remote Procedure Call) is what Windows uses to let a program on one computer use resources - or, another program - on another computer. It's a protocol. Try this at a command prompt: net start rpcss and see if it starts up the server. As to the DEVLDR not responding message, here's what Microsoft has to say:

CAUSE
    This error may occur if you have the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live installed on your computer.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, remove or turn off the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live Driver and reinstall the driver from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, double-click System.
    3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    4. Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
    5. Right-click Creative Labs SoundBlaster, and then click Uninstall.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    6. Reinstall the sound card driver.

The SoundBlaster live! driver that is included with Windows XP does not work. To download an update for the driver, visit the following SoundBlaster Web site:
    Creative Labs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well everyone, things seem to have gotten sorted out, though I don't know exactly what it was that did the trick. I kept uninstalling and reinstalling devices, popped the sound card out and put it back in with a reboot inbetween, kept trying to reinstall drivers without much success, and then late (for me) last night, the PC started making noises again.

I also uninstalled the printer drivers, downloaded the latest from HP, and reinstalled. Things "seem" to be working. I am still a little uneasy because I don't know what started the problem and I don't know what fixed it.

Having said that, I wish to thank all of you who posted suggestions, article links, web locations, etc. You are a great resource and much appreciated. Thanks again.

Douglas

Thanks

Glad to hear it worked itself out.

You just had an occurance of SWH. ( something wonderful happened )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!