2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

line numbering (Word 2003/Adobe 7.0)

I know that I can line number in Word and I know that I can designate what line number each file begins with without putting individual files together into one Word file. HOWEVER, does anyone know if you can create a PDF file from multiple Word files and then line number the whole document???

TIA,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: line numbering (Word 2003/Adobe 7.0)

You have three choices to do this:
    1. Put the word documents together in Word, add the line numbering and then create the PDF from that.
    2. Output the Word docs as PDF and then run a script merge the separate PDFs into one file and another script to add line numbering
    3. Put with Word documents together in Word, create the PDF and then run a script to add line numbering
    4. Line number in Word and then use a Third Party Acrobat application to merge PDF files and add Bates Numbering.

Putting the documents together in Word will cause problems with document formatting/headers/footers so it is the least attractive option unless all your documents are formatted consistently.

Option 2 sounds like it is most likely to be what you are after but it involves learning how to program Acrobat (and assume that you actually have Acrobat). Acrobat Javascript is also called Acrobat JS or ECMA Script. This is not for the faint hearted but it will certainly be able to do what you require. A good source for this kind of information is PlanetPDF and you may like to start with Developing with Acrobat Javascript. You may be able to find a third party software package which can do it all for you - look on that website for some likely packages.

Option 4 is another likely contender to satisfy your requirements - there are plenty of third party apps that can add Bates Numbering to PDFs. You can find these at PlanetPDF too.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: line numbering (Word 2003/Adobe 7.0)

Thanks for your suggestions... I think that I will go with line numbering the Word files individually (file-01 ends with line 10, so file-02 starts with line 11, etc.) and then PDFing the Word files as a group into one PDF. Tedious but reliable and cheap! Fortunately this is not a long report.
    gg