Thanks

Current User Run (XP-SP-2)

I'm networked with my daughter's PC at home, primarily for printer sharing and file transfers. I work on mine alone, but she shares hers with her husband.

Whenever I install software on her PC, I do so "for all users". Many programs though set themselves up with "Current User Run" statements in the startup.

Is this something I can turn off for one user without affecting others? So that, say, I can disable the loading of a program in my daughter's startup group, without affecting her husband's?

In other words, if I am logged in as "Chuck", and I delete something from my startup group set that is a "Current User Run" item, does it in fact only delete from mine?

I'm unclear how, since this is a registry setting, not a folder like the Startup folder, this will not affect all users. I know there Is a Current User branch of the registry, but I see no separate sections for each user.

?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Current User Run (XP-SP-2)

There are at least six places in Windows from where programs can be automatically started. Some of them affecting all user accounts, some of them only current user account.

If you remove a command from the place affecting current user only, it is not affected other users. If you remove it from the place affecting all users, the program will not start automatically anymore.

Example 1:
    If you delete My Shortcut.lnk from Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup folder, the program will not start automatically anymore. If you delete it from
    Cocuments and SettingsMyUsernameStart MenuProgramsStartup folder, the program will not run for your account (unless there is a shortcut to it in "All Users" also). For other accounts, the program may or may not start, depending of presence of shortcut in their folders.

Example 2:

If the registry string value with full path to the program file exist in the Registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun
    - the program will start automatically for all users.
    If this value does not exist in this key, but exist instead in the key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun
    - the program will start for your account. Will program start automatically for other users, decides the value in their
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun

To reach their keys, (your account must have Administrator permissions):

1) In Regedit, highlight the HKEY_USERS key and go to File, Load Hive.
    2) Use the File Open dialog to go to the Documents and Settings folder, where is the account you wish to modify.
    3) Highlight the NTUSER.DAT file in this folder (usually a hidden file) and select Open.
    4) You'll be prompted to enter a "Key name". You can use whatever you wish, but I use the User's logon name.
    5) You can now expand the Hive you just loaded and make any needed changes.
    6) When finished, highlight this Hive again and go to File, Unload Hive.

I hope I understood your question and answer to it.

Thanks

Yes you did...

I guess I'm just curious where "Current User" entries are stored, since the don't show up in the registry (as they do, for instance in the "Documents and SetingsUsernameStart MenuProgramsStartup) where you can see all affected accounts at once...)

Isn't there any way to see all affected accounts at once, without having to login/logout/login....?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I made an addition to my post when you probably read it.

"Current user" entries are stored in NTUSER.DAT files in Documents and Settings< username > folders. You can see all of them at once loading their hives one by one in Registry Editor without logon on each account, as described in my previous post. Don't forget to unload them before closing Registry Editor!

Thanks

They certainly don't make this straightforward. I just set up a second account on my machine so that I could "watch" the Current User activity, but the ID for the accounts is buried in the maze, so you can't actually go right to the files.

And when I went to my registry, now with 2 users plus the Guest and Admin, I found a maze of "accounts"(?) in the HK_Users, so it was truly as clear as mud.

Thanks anywho...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow