3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

UNC Tempate Reference (Word XP)

Hi, again. I am working on a project that is stalled at the testing phase, and here's why:

The documents developed for this project are "attached" to a template that resides on the drive specified by the Group Templates setting (P:MacrosXP). Different departments may have P: mapped to a different server, but they are all configured to have the same content. Because of permissions and network load issues, I have made sure that the attached template in the Templates and Add-ins... dialog is specified as "P:MacrosXPtemplate.dot" and not (for example) SomeserverDepartmentshareMacrosXPtemplate.dot.

However, I found that the AttachedTemplate property returns the template path with the drive-letter, while in the VBEditor, the document still references the template by its UNC name (which is whatever share I had P: mapped to when I saved the files.) Normally, this wouldn't be a problem (I guess), but the document itself has code modules; when they are called, it causes the document to (try to) compile, but it fails for some users because they cannot access.

If you are still with me, what this means is that I need to find out if I can change that Reference from a UNC-type of reference to one with a drive letter.

This is crucial, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UNC Tempate Reference (Word XP)

What happens if you first attach the document to Normal.dot, then close and save it, reopen it and attach it to a template on P: ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, it's the same: the dialog box shows the mapped-drive, the References show the UNC name...
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If nobody else comes up with something, I'll look into this tomorrow, when I'm on a network again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It turns out that Word automatically converts the the location of any VBA reference into an UNC path if the file is on a network, not just the path of the attached template. The problem is mentioned in the newsgroups, without a workaroud other than writing code to set the attached template.