3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pagefile will not adjust (Pro SP2)

Edited by HansV to provide link to post by typing <!t>[post#=401213]<!/t> - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>.

I have followed the discussion in thread <post#=401213>post 401213</post#>, and read the references, but still have a problem setting the desired pagefile size.

Using Win XP Pro SP2, 1Gb memory, System Drive C, Data Drive D (logical), both FAT32, logged on as Administrator. As I am a little low on space on the C drive, I would like a page file around 512MB, rather that the 1.5Gb windows wants to set.

1. If I allow the system to set the size on C, it gives Recommended 1533 / allocated 841, and parameters of cagefile.sys 0 0 in the Registry Memory Management key

2. If I set the Custom Size to 512 / 512, it gives recommended 1533 / allocated 1533, and the registry shows cagefile.sys 512 512

3. When I set No Page file on C and 512 / 512 on D, it gives recommended 1533 / allocated 512, and shows dagefile.sys 512 512 in the registry.

For some reason, I cannot make the size 'stick' on drive C. I have tried muultiple reboots and combinations of different sizes on C and D. I do not want to use D for the page file, as there can be problems with backup programs such as DriveImage / PartitionMagic, if the System drive gets 'separated' from the drive with the pagefile.

I also have this problem on another drive with a 'clean' WinXP install, so do not think it is local registry corruption????
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pagefile will not adjust (Pro SP2)

If you are "a little low on space on the C drive", try another way to free some disk space: clear Restore folder.

From an account with Administrator rights, open System Properties (from Control Panel or pressing Windows and Pause/Break keys on the keyboard simultaneously), then click System Restore tab and check "Turn off System Restore on all drives". Click Apply and confirm your choice. After it is done, uncheck "Turn off System Restore" checkbox, click Apply, OK. Then create a fresh Restore Point (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore, Create a restore point, Next). Check how much space did you recover.

Also in System Restore dialog box in System Properties you can adjust the size disk space usage for System Restore selecting the drive under Drive Settings and clicking Settings button.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore folder is limited to a reasonable minimum size, temporary files are regularly cleared out and disk space generally monitored. the problem here is really the peculiar fact that Win will not allow a Custom pagefile on the system drive, but will accept it on another partition

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do you defragment it regularily? Usually Windows installation requires 5 GB - 7 GB, so 10 GB partition is big enough in any case. How big is your boot partition? Did you consider to resize it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Defragmentation is regular. I have a 6Gb partition, which I cannot easily resize as it lives with another (normally hidden) primary partition, and a large logical data drive. Normally windows and applications use around 4Gb, but if Windows takes 1.5 for an unneccesarily large swap file, it leads to the disk filling up quite fast, if housekeeping is not aggressive