2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VPN - Drive access (windows XP Pro SP2)

We can successfully set-up a VPN connection such that it says that we have connected to the server. However, when I try to map a drive (of the server) Windows complains. If I turn off the firewall, I can easily map the drive.

Is there a setting within the firewall that I can change to allow the firewall to stay on while at the sametime allow the mapping of the drive?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VPN - Drive access (windows XP Pro SP2)

Depending of which firewall are you using, add the current connection to "trusted" or "safe" zone.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is just Windows firewall. As such I don't see within Windows firewall where you can add a connection as trusted or safe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Click Start | Control Panel | Security Center, on Security Center window slide down until you will see "Windows Firewall" link at the bottom and click on it. Windows Firewall dialog will open, then click Advanced tab, under "Network Connection Settings" select your network connection, click Settings button and on the next screen enable all services and ICMP settings.

Don't forget to restore default settings after you close VPN connection, if you use the same connection to surf the Internet!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - now I get it. I saw that VPN entry there but I did not think to enable of the advanced settings.