New Lounger
    Thanks

W2000 - interrupt processing

In the past 2 days, I seem to have developed a problem with W2000. It seems that ery second the magic microsoft hourglass goes cycles. I have tried shutting down Outlook and have reconfigured it to check (when offline) messages every hour. No change. Any thoughts?

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W2000 - interrupt processing

Right-click an empty part of the task bar and select Task Manager from the popup menu.
    Activate the Processes tab.
    Click twice on the CPU column, so that the list is sorted descending on CPU use.
    Which process or processes take up the most CPU time? (ignore "System Idle Process", that just represents the processor twiddling its thumbs)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1) Do you have any antivirus software installed and up to date? If so, what software is it?
    2) Have you run any spyware detection software lately, such as AdAware, Spybot, etc. etc.?

Have you tried looking in Task Manager to see what processes are running and what your CPU use looks like? (see attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have McAfee Antivirus and Sysbot runnig. McAfee's "McShield is the one that seems to be causing the interrupt. But, as I said before, this started 2 days ago and both programs have been running for over a year. Any suggestions to deal with it or should I ignore the problem.

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As you can read in The Lounge I quit using McAfee a long time ago so I'm not familiar with the program you mentioned. You could either experiment with terminating it, or writing to them asking what's going on. In the past, some of the McAfee programs were real system hogs AND were not necessary for the running of the software. You DO need to get some up to date info on the McAfee stuff.

New Lounger
    Thanks

In follow-up to my last post, I have deleted and uninstalled McAfee virus and spamkiller without success. I thne purchased Registry Mechanic and did a complete scan of the register and made all repairs. No change. the cursor/hourglass cycle ov every second continues. I am also seeing an increase in pop-up wqindows in spite of using a pop-up blocker. Finally, when I shut down the computer I get a message that indicates that it is unable to close program "cacntutl.exe as I am shutting down. Somehow, I think that this program may be a part of the problem; however, I have tried googling the .exe file without success.

Any thoughts?

David