Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links HELP!!!!! Possible Feature failure. (2000 sp3)

I just tried this in Office XP (2002). The link was correct (i.e. changed to copyB) after closing AND SAVING and reopening the presentation. Are you sure you saved the presentation when you closed it after you changed the source of the link?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, definitely. Three different people have tried this on 5 different PCs. I know it sounds impossible. In order for what we are seeing to be true, the old links must be saved in the presentation somewhere. How else could they be restored? Yet I can't find any reference anywhere that says this is done and I can't find the old names in the file when I open it in notepad, though, of course, most of it looks like an alien language so they could be there in some compressed format.
    The other post I referenced talks about this same issue but from an automation perspective. I stepped through that code in debug mode and we can see that the links are changed and the file is saved. When I look at the file in Windows Explorer I can see that the file save time stamp has been updated. When I open the presentation with notepad I can see the links with the new paths. But then when I open the presentation, the links reflect the OLD original source names.
    Strange but true.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps someone else with Office 2000 can check this. I couldn't find anything relevant in the MSKB or in the newsgroups.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for looking Hans!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tested this again on a PC with Windows XP pro and Office 2000. It failed to "keep" the new source.
    I tested again on a PC with Windows 98se and Office 2000. It also failed to "keep" the new source.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tested again on a laptop running Windows ME with Office 2000. This test also failed to "keep" the source changes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried following your steps, exactly as written, using Excel 2003 and PowerPoint 2003. It worked correctly, showing the new workbook location at the final step.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think we can conclude that you have this problem in Office 2000, on all Windows versions. The problem does not occur any more in Office XP (my test) and Office 2003 (StuartR's test). So if this is important to you, you have a powerful argument to upgrade to a newer version of Office.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

True, but isn't Microsoft still supporting 2000? Many large corporations worldwide are still using Office 2000 as their "standard desktop" image and are not likely to roll out an XP solution for another year or two.. While this may not be as earth shaking as the case a few years ago with Excel's latest (at that time) version giving wrong answers, it is something that a LOT of people could be affected by.
    I'm going to reach out to some other sources and see if I can get more confirmation on the problem. One thing I'd like to find out is if this problem is in the 2000 version "out of the box" or if it was caused by a patch applied afterwards. Every version I was able to test on had already been updated with the latest security and other patches.
    Thanks for you continued attention to this thread!

Thanks

Re: Links HELP!!!!! Possible Feature failure. (20

I use PP sparingly, so this may not be what you are looking for. <!mskb=222707>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 222707<!/mskb> or <!mskb=222708>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 222708<!/mskb> may be of some help.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the research. I did not see these articles when I was looking for information. I appreciate the help. I was aware of the problem in the first article but did what they suggested; code the workaround from the model. I wish I had seen the second article, it would have saved me a lot of time. As you can see from my other post, I did code a solution very similar to the sample in the article. HOWEVER, what the articles don't address is the fact that the code works, but when you re-open the presentation, the old source is somehow restored.
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I also tested this on Office 2000 SP3 (running Windows 2000) and I found the following in PowerPoint, after changing the source of the link:

- clicking File, Close, Yes to the Save prompt DOES NOT DUPLICATE the problem. (the .ppt file actually keeps the updated link source path when re-opening the file)
    - clicking File, Save, File, Close DUPLICATES the problem (the .ppt file reverts back to the original link source path)

Not sure if this is helpful, but that's what I've found. Maybe someone else with Office 2000 SP3 can also do a comparison of Save / Close versus Close / Save.

Regards,

AJ

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now that's bizarre!!!!! But true. Thanks for the insight AJ. This might help others who try it and think it is working for them. I tried it both ways with the same results you got. This gave me the idea that I could fix the problem in the code I have with the other post on this issue but alas, there is no save option on the PowerPoint close as there is on the Word close!!! So I'm still stuck. This also, of course, wouldn't help anyone trying to do this manually.
    Any ideas on what could be different between the two ways of saving? Anyone?
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Based on the reply from AJ, did you save with the icon when you tried this test in XP or did you close and respond yes to the prompt?
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR,
    How did you save when you did your test?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast